15 inch rims and tyre options

Anything that doesn't fit the other categories. Direct link: How to post photos and videos
petroscf
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): '77 EU 316 (2.0 - manual/dogleg - lsd)

Re: 15 inch rims and tyre options

Post by petroscf »

Heavier steering wheel-you probably won't mention at all. (Use leather gloves, at least try them, trust me, they take so much heaviness you won't believe your eyes)

Better handling.... ok, it depends. Ask yourself the following questions: 1) How often will you drive the car on a track? 2) do you use it quite a lot in everyday driving? 3) how good or bad are roads where you live? I found 15x6 front (and 195/50/15 -combined to 15x7 rear with 205/50/15) a good compromise between handling and comfort, (all around 195/55/15 with 15x7" was a bit stiff for me for some reason) but when roads get really bad (and in Greece they can get, believe me), 195/60/14 with 14x6 alloys were better (a bit more comfy ride, not bad handling at all)

/oo=00=oo\
E21 Forever
yatisr
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by yatisr »

I use my car as a daily driver here in Malaysia. The roads vary from very good to simply awful. I don't use the car on the track. The problem I have is that the only available 185 tyre that will fit a 13 inch rim here in Malaysia is made by Falken. It simply leaves a lot to be desired, although I must acknowledge my thanks to the tyre guy who agreed to bring this tyre in from Singapore for me when I had no other option. When you say 15 x7" all around was a bit stiff, do you mean that the ride was too uncomfortable, or the steering was too heavy, or both? I ask because I have my eye on a set of Oz Racing 15 x7".

You have convinced me on the leather gloves. I know what to ask my fiancee for Christmas now!
Yatis
petroscf
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): '77 EU 316 (2.0 - manual/dogleg - lsd)

Post by petroscf »

I mean that when I switched from 15"x7" all around to 14"x6" all around (and from 55 to 60 profile), I felt a big difference towards a more comfy ride (and not that much difference in handling)
About steering, as I wrote, yes it will become heavier at parking but only a bit, maybe you won't feel it 98% of the times (and yes, when you try to park wearing gloves, I pretty sure you will be thanking me)
:driving
/oo=00=oo\
E21 Forever