M10 motor turbo kit or engine swap

For all your questions, problems and DIY stories
Sel The Don
E21 starter
My E21(s): 1983 315

M10 motor turbo kit or engine swap

Post by Sel The Don »

So I'm dead set on an E21, I very nearly pulled the trigger on a mazda 929 coupe but finding parts would have been a nightmare so an E21 it is!

https://www.laurent-motors.com/en/shop/ ... _top_mount

So maybe instead of doing an engine swap down the line I may stick with the little M10 engine and breath some more life into it. I was looking at this kit and it seems really cheap for what it is. I understand that I'll need other things like efi system and ECU to get it to run, but would it be a good buy?

RE engine conversions:
I see other people have gone down the M20/50 etc route but I was also thinking of the engine from a W204 Mercedes C200 Kompressor. 185BHP 1.8 supercharged engine thats really nice and solid and pulls pretty well. Has anyone thought along these lines before or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Wilmo
E21 Mad

Re: M10 motor turbo kit or engine swap

Post by Wilmo »

I would take it step by step. Large projects are really difficult to get yourself motivated for. I myself see myself now struggling with a simple modification to the wire loom, really looking up against starting with it.

So I would first convert your car to EFI and get used to the ECU, for instance a Megasquirt or Speeduino and start from there to add bits and pieces. The parts you show in the link... I would get them separate. I have seen the manifolds on Ebay and for a turbo you can have more choice and control over state etc when you source it individually.

Good luck!