Newbee
My E21(s): '92 Europe 318i autp

E21 rotten chassis leg replacement help

Post by Bycze184 »

e21 rotten chassis leg help!!!
Hi all,
I've bought my dreamed e21 a month ago.
Outside /inside great condition.
After purchase (i.know I should.be Checking it before) but I established on right side of vehicle that chassis leg is rotten in 2 places- see photos attached.
Lots of people saying to replace 2 pieces and leave a leg but I want to make it right and bought original "engine frame support " from BMW £260 .I've done some research and one recommended body shop welder said that can be done at home and removing this leg will not affect shape of the body...
the others 3 guys said that need to be done in workshop to alignment body properly?
If so does anyone has experience chassis leg replacement,
I'm.a bit worried that UK body shops may reject a job due to luck of no information about
body repair information from the manufacturer through manuals, CDs and other industry sources.
I've already exposed welds of leg prior to remove/replace or this element
Do you know anyone is UK to do this job??

nic65
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Re: E21 rotten chassis leg replacement help

Post by nic65 »

sorry, I don't see the photos....
uwbuurman
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): 1978 type 1 323i 5speed dogleg Polaris

Post by uwbuurman »

Me neither, but to bad for you, not buying what you hoped for. Looking forward to your pics, so we can give the needed advice.
It's the man next door!

1978 BMW 323i
1980 BMW 528i maior restitutio
1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet
2006 BMW 320d touring High Executive
2015 BMW 320dA touring xDrive High Executive ///Msport
Atle_323i
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): 76 EU 318

Post by Atle_323i »

Bycze184 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:48 am e21 rotten chassis leg help!!!
Hi all,
I've bought my dreamed e21 a month ago.
Outside /inside great condition.
After purchase (i.know I should.be Checking it before) but I established on right side of vehicle that chassis leg is rotten in 2 places- see photos attached.
Lots of people saying to replace 2 pieces and leave a leg but I want to make it right and bought original "engine frame support " from BMW £260 .I've done some research and one recommended body shop welder said that can be done at home and removing this leg will not affect shape of the body...
the others 3 guys said that need to be done in workshop to alignment body properly?
If so does anyone has experience chassis leg replacement,
I'm.a bit worried that UK body shops may reject a job due to luck of no information about
body repair information from the manufacturer through manuals, CDs and other industry sources.
I've already exposed welds of leg prior to remove/replace or this element
Do you know anyone is UK to do this job??
I'm going to do the same job as you, with help from a friend of mine. You can buy workshop manual for E21 online, don't remember which site has it online, that helps alot when doing bodywork on the car. You also get access to the workshop manual if become VIP member here.
The workshop manual has all the meassurements for the car that is needed to check if the body is in correct alingment.
BMW E21 318 76 ---> transforming to 323i
BMW E21 323i 79 - gone to heaven
BMW F46 220D Xdrive daily driver.
uwbuurman
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): 1978 type 1 323i 5speed dogleg Polaris

Post by uwbuurman »

If you become a VIP member here, the complete BMW workshop manual, that the dealer used to use, can be downloaded. The two blue books, I mean.
It's the man next door!

1978 BMW 323i
1980 BMW 528i maior restitutio
1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet
2006 BMW 320d touring High Executive
2015 BMW 320dA touring xDrive High Executive ///Msport
e21Keith
E21 Fanatic
My E21(s): '81 323i Manual

Post by e21Keith »

I have some experience of this, all be it on an e30 where I replaced both front legs and inner wings at home.

The way I did it was to build a jig which (in the case of the e30) bolted in to the front bumper mount, front crossmember mountings and the gearbox mountings on the shell. I also took copious measurements and used a spirit level to make sure everything was level. The results were perfect.

If you are starting with a dimensionally accurate shell to start with this is much easier than replacing bent parts on a damaged shell which may not be straight to start with.

Again from my own experience there are very few people who will go jig work, bodyshops are all set up to do insurance work, most don't have a jig and don't want to do it because there is too much scope to get it wrong. I have a friend who works in insurance and it's not that uncommon for the bodyshop to write off a car by messing up jig work.

Find an independent and they may be able to help. If you are in or near Berkshire I can provide you with details of someone who may be able to help, PM me for details.