BMW 323i M50 2.5

rob0r
E21 Pro

Re: BMW 323i M50 2.5 - Back on the road then broken again!

Post by rob0r »

Jason_323i wrote:If it helps I have a m50 2.0 manifold you can have for free

Jason
Thanks Jason, if it is the inlet then I'll be alralditing it and patching it with metal if needs be! I hope it is something like ICV like Nas mentions, but on first glance I don't think it is.
pistonheader wrote:sorry to hear this rob. my how time flies, it's been over 18 months since i got those E30 seats fitted and had my water pump failure!! other than all of this stuff hope all is well your end mate :driving
Thanks mate, life is pretty dire at the moment though!
murran wrote:just watched the vid.... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...... breath....... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

everyone there next to the fences were there to watch you do a burn out??
bloody hell. if i do a burnout at the shop i get frowned at and risk being reported to the bacon folks.
It was organised as a part of the show, held at a remote truck stop so it was all good! The sad fact is I can burnout pretty well and that turned out to be a total embarrassment! The brakes need bleeding and are a bit spongy, so I overcompensated and powered the brake pedal...
nas80 wrote:its the banana shape pipe for the icv where it goes into the inlet end. its popped out. mine did that too once.
I hope so, but I don't think it is :(
nige21 wrote:Firstly you have the worst luck Rob!! Dont sell, stick an e28 rear end in it!

How do you find the quick rack? Is there steering much heavier? What was the ratio?
Jas do you still have any of these, or know who else makes one??
This is just a small fraction of my bad luck at the moment, I'm starting to think I'm cursed! I'll see how things go in the next few months regarding selling it, in the next few months I will be liquidating a lot of my projects and go on a selling blitz. I badly need the money since my GF has been unemployed for over a year, work have stitched me up royally and the utility companies have sent me quite frankly ludicrous bills. In addition to my monthly direct debit my elec company EDF reckon I owe them an extra £1500...

I'm finding the rack awesome, but this is only day to day driving, I really need to go drifting or tracking with it. Also I haven't driven an E21 for nearly 4 years so I can't really compare standard racks, my friend reckons though they are one of the best additions to an E21. I do find the steering heavy, but ONLY when parking or 3 point turning, once your away then it's fine - I wouldn't be concerned. If I sell the car, the rack isn't going! Jason used to supply these but I think he stopped a while ago, I haven't heard of anyone else supplying them, hopefully it might have one still kicking around!

ImageImage
e21-Mark
E21 Master
My E21(s): 316 m52/2.8 Cat Cams & Jenvey ITB
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JackyardBackoff

Post by e21-Mark »

I've got one of Jasons racks in MIB and it's excellent. I've been running for the past year with no issues even at parking speeds. I don't have girls arms though! :lol:

I also bought one of the last one's available but I have plans.
rob0r
E21 Pro

Post by rob0r »

Before it broke, I parked up to Tescos and found this when I came back...

The guy is local and I see the car on an almost daily basis. Me and Nas met him a good few months back too.
ImageImage
murran
E21 Pro

Post by murran »

why isnt he on here?
Jeroen wrote:Bmwe21.net, for all your insurance solutions :P
rob0r
E21 Pro

Post by rob0r »

We did tell him, I think Nas even wrote down the URL for him!
ImageImage
rob0r
E21 Pro

Post by rob0r »

I've actually been using this?

Glorious October sunshine

ImageImage
murran
E21 Pro

Post by murran »

hahaha, thats my e21's favorite place too.... the petrol station!
rob0r
E21 Pro

Post by rob0r »

Tell me about it! I thought it was terrible on fuel and getting around 5mpg, I then noticed the milometer is working intermittently. Still its not good on fuel, it sounds too good and gets thrashed everywhere!
ImageImage
rob0r
E21 Pro

Re: BMW 323i M50 2.5

Post by rob0r »

The car is safely tucked up over winter with a list of shakedown niggles after a few solid months of driving it.

I've been going backwards and forwards about selling this do to uncertainty of the back axle but I've finally made the decision to keep it and take plenty of driveshafts with me to drift/track days, until I finally upgrade the rear axle with something more substantial.

Future plans:
Finally fit a modded sump
Fit the 400bhp clutch
Cage
Buckets/harnesses
Steering rack spacers for more lock (assuming E30 spacers work)

If I'm fitting a clutch and replacing the sump it's probably easiest to pull the engine, I'm semi debating fitting an M52B28...
ImageImage
e21-Mark
E21 Master

Post by e21-Mark »

wiz0r wrote: made the decision to keep it
:thumbsup
wiz0r wrote:I'm semi debating fitting an M52B28...
Do it Rob, you'll love the extra torque and as Nas will tell you, its very different to the 2.5's character.

Hows the e23?
murran
E21 Pro

Post by murran »

id keep your touring if i were you and sell the e21.
touring makes a better daily/drifter.
e21-Mark
E21 Master

Post by e21-Mark »

Why is that? Wheelebase?
murran
E21 Pro

Post by murran »

e21-Mark wrote:Why is that? Wheelebase?
he has m30ed the (my old) touring.... m30 beats the m50/2 in the drifting world hands down, esp for low mid range torque, durability and shear ability to do dohnuts in 3rd at 2500rpm. and the rear driveshafts wont shit themselves with a welded diff.
this is what hes been up to...
http://www.trampdrift.co.uk/Forum/TD/sh ... php?t=4163

baring in mind the guy known as martin with the green 2 door e30 who does the odd bdc meeting runs an m30 turbo (roughly mapped) on a standard engine @329 bhp hasnt had any engine failures yet.....

robs made this into a proper good skid car imo. no way id be selling it in favour of an e21 if i was wanting a damn good daily and a skid bus all in one...... plus you cant get half the amount of skid wheels in an e21 that you can fit in a touring.

and yes a longer wheelbase does make a easier skid car, but you cant transition as fast.

tourings look awesome sideways. rob re-concider.
e21-Mark
E21 Master

Post by e21-Mark »

Interesting read on TD thread.

I can see why you'd rate the touring over a 21 but I like the rarity value of 21's all day long.

I can't wait to be experiencing m30 grunt.
rob0r
E21 Pro

Post by rob0r »

LOL, I've come back to a debate on which car to keep!

The E30 will be better for drifting but the E21 has more trick bits and retro charm. It has a lot to do with whether I have another trade policy or not as my renewal is up in four days and the fact I'll be commuting or not. The E30 is my daily but I'm looking for a new job ASAP so I will be commuting again (I work from home at the moment). If I have to go back to normal car insurance and commuting then the E30 will have to go to fund a new daily, likely to be a Merc C250TD. I'd rather have the E21 as a 2nd car on classic insurance than the E30, if you understand all that!
ImageImage