What to do with my Baur?

Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Re: What to do with my Baur?

Post by Jeroen »

Agree, practically is a new build! Sad to hear about the discoveries but now perhaps its fine if the car is finished come spring... and go out and enjoy right away! You don't want a restore like this out in the wet and the salt! Will be an amazing car when finished I'm sure!

Regards/groeten, Jeroen
cobbler2u
E21 Pro
My E21(s): 323i baur
323i special
328 sport
325i

Post by cobbler2u »

That is some serious restoration work.
Must be costing a few quid with jaymic doing the work.
Bigmeat
Upcoming E21 fanatic
My E21(s): '79 E21 Baur 1.6

Post by Bigmeat »

So things have progressed slowly over the last few months. we ere really hoping it'd be completed for the Sharknose meet, but it wasn't to be. Maybe next year.

The car received it's paint this weekend, & reassembly is due to start in the next fortnight. It's great to see some progress, & i can't wait for my Mrs to see it.

It's hard to believe this is the same car...

1979 Baur TC1 - Currently undergoing restoration.
Bigmeat
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by Bigmeat »

Hmm, think i've buggered up the photos tho. Sorry guys. Trying to do this from my mobile & struggling a bit...
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

I only added IMG tags and it worked. Even though you didn't make it to this year's Sharknose Meet, there is much more progress than I expected after all the work that was required! Looks great and now there's the best part of all the work with visible progress at every step. Enjoy and see you next year then!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Peter V.
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): '82 320/6

Post by Peter V. »

What a rebuild you are doing! very nice.
Gr Peter V.

.Some say he eats nuts and bolts for breakfast, all we know is he is called the carburetorman.

BMW E21, 1981 320/6 Ascot Grau.
BMW E85, 2004 Z4 2.5i Sterling Grau.
BMW F31, 2017 320dA EDE Luxuryline Mineral Grau.
G_e21
E21 starter
My E21(s): 1982 lhd 318i

Post by G_e21 »

that looks great mate
jimbob
E21 Pro

Post by jimbob »

you must be very pleased to be at this stage from what you started with.
another one saved, good work
E21 323i [kashmere] Off the road pending restoration
E21 3231[Graphite metalic] Restoration and conversion to M52
E36 318i Had it nearly 10 years work in progress
E36 328i Daily driver
E39 520i Family car school run workhorse
E36 328i Touring
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Especially with the whole story behind it, regarding you and your family as well as all the work needed, this is very, very impressive. Almost there! If you need help: I'm not close but if we -as a community- can help you out with issues or parts let us know!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Bigmeat
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by Bigmeat »

Thanks. I appreciate that.

Actually, I do have a question regarding insurance.
The car will end up costing over £12 K by the time it's completed. Initially it will be almost completely stock, although over time we may upgrade various bits & bobs as I've mentioned before.
Obviously a large part of the cost is down to labour charges.

Does anyone know where I stand regarding getting it insured? Approximate worth if it's near showroom condition etc? Of course, I can get all receipts & paperwork to prove all the money that's been spent on it.
My concern is that I can only get insured for average vaIue of an E-21 but to get it back to the state this car will be in will cost another £12k+

How have you guys gone about getting adequate insurance & can you recommend any insurers that are 'sympathetic' to older cars such as these?

I realise it's a nooby question but I've never really had to bother with this before, having only had newish cars.

Cheers, Alan
LeeLee
E21 Fanatic
My E21(s): E21 316 1981

Post by LeeLee »

Wicked work and great story can't wait to see this on the road!! Nice meetin you mate,need to keep these cars in family's and not in the hands of businesses and collectors love the color white is the best colour also haha ;)
AndyBaur
E21 Fanatic
My E21(s): 1983 320/6 Baur 5-speed (now gone)

Post by AndyBaur »

Bigmeat wrote:I do have a question regarding insurance.
Since you have all the documentary proof you shouldn't have a problem. All the classic insurers do Agreed Value cover. I use Heritage cover from Norton Insurance (Tel. 0121 246 5050 www.heritage-quote.co.uk). Get a few other quotes but stay well clear of Adrian Flux - they went back on my agreed valuation and were really nasty about it too. You just don't need the hassle - there are plenty of others about.
AndyS

Live each day as if it's your last because one day it will be.
Bigmeat
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by Bigmeat »

Thanks Andy, i'll bear that in mind, & i'll give Norton a call when it's time for cover.

I spoke with the guys over at Jaymic today. The car is in the final stages now.
The engine, transmission, brake lines etc. are all being fitted within the next fortnight.
Most of the wiring is already sorted & much of the interior including the dash is already in.

They anticipate it'll be finished for the back end of September, so i suppose it'll be too late to use it much this year, & we'll have missed all the gatherings.
We do hope to make a few of them next year though, it'll be good to see some of the cars i've been reading about over the last couple of years, & meet the people behind them.

I should get some pics of the car as it stands now, pretty soon, so i'll get them up on here.

Al
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

The end is nigh! :wink:

With the season pretty much over there's no need to start rushing things, better take time to finish off a time and money consuming restore in the best possible way. Take the next months for nitpicking, MOT, some test drives, there's always something to be corrected after such a huge job. And then the Baur is ready for the 2015 season so as soon as the sun starts shining in spring you'll be there to catch every possible ray with a huge smile on your faces. Oh and don't postpone a decent appraisal and matching insurance!

BTW I'll be moving this thread to the more appropriate Convertible section in the Owner's Gallery. Looking forward to some new pics btw :wink:
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
nas80
E21 Mad

Post by nas80 »

what a fantastic restoration.. 12k isn't actually that bad for the work you have had done.
[img]http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/nasbucket/forumsig.jpg[/img]