Recognising 5 speed gearboxes

ac/dennis
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Recognising 5 speed gearboxes

Post by ac/dennis »

Hi guys,

I have the opportunity to buy a 5-gearbox, a sports version with the 1st gear where normally the 2nd gear is. And at a very low price.
But how do i know if its a sports version or the overdrive version. Can you tell by serial numbers or something? If so what numbers?

Any help & advice is much apperciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis

Madhatter
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by Madhatter »

usually find by looking at the serial it will indicate its a 242. The sport boxes usually have removable belhousings and are shorter in length than the O/D 5 speed. So along with the shift pattern, you should be able to find out which is which.
[url=http://www.blackbmw.net][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/madhatter_/weblink.jpg[/img][/url]
[size=84][b]- BMW E21 John Player Special Build, click to follow - [/b][/size]
ac/dennis
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by ac/dennis »

Thanks,

Also read another post on this forum about 5-sport gearbox. The reverse light swithch at the back instead of on top is ussualy a sing too right?

The sports gearbox is shorter then the 5-speed overdrive, Does this mean you'll need another axle (cant find the name, prop shaft or something), that goes to your diff?

Cheers.

Dennis
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

I just discussed this with Hidde and made some pics to illustrate, will upload them a bit later.

There are 2 versions of the dogleg 5 speed. One is exactly as long as the eco 5 speed, the other (older) version is slightly shorter but bot a whole lot. And yes most doglegs have the reverse light switch at the back.

Pics coming up!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
ac/dennis
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by ac/dennis »

Cool thanks for the info.
The seller is sure its a sports 5-gearbox and not the "normal :) " overdrive 5-gearbox.

Cant wait to see the pics J m8.
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

Here's some pics... lemme make this topic sticky as these questions pop up on a regular basis. The easiest way to recognize ANY 5 speed is the extension of the gearbox housing. All M20 gearboxes have the letters "M60" cast in them (the original model designation for the M20 engine).

BTW I apologise for the pics that are slightly larger... just so y'all can see things more clearly:

Let's start with the 245 overdrive boxes:

U can see the reverse switch on top and the M60 sign slightly left of the copyright sign.

The tail. Notice the speedo drive connection just above the copyright sign (U need this for an E21 and E30 boxes don't have 'em). The part no is just right of the copyright sign.

Even though there were some 245 sports boxes, most of them are marked 242 just like the 4 speeds... easy to tell those apart by the extension. This confusion is quite common, sometimes I get the idea Getrag fitted covers upon availability, in many cases the numbers aren't right.

Didn't clean this one so the M60 sign is a litle harder to recognize.

There's the reverse switch at the tail. The box' part no is right next to the copyright mark.

One last thing to notice: 3 or 4 lug output flanges. The early ones up to 9/80 had the 4 lug version, the later versions the 3 lug.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
ac/dennis
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by ac/dennis »

Thanks for the Pics J.
--ALPINA--
E21 Pro

Post by --ALPINA-- »

Hi, i have a dogleg/sport box ready to fit, but what raised an eye brow is whilst reading the post it dawned on me to check the rear of the box, i didnt realise the 3 and 4 lug hold prop shaft connection, so i popped into the garage and and looked at the gearbox which is ready to be fitted and with amazed from what i saw its a bloody 3 lug hole bolt on and not a 4 which i have from my diff, a question!!! would it be easier was to change the 3 lug hole to a 4 lug hole on the gearbox to fit my prop shaft? and is it an easy job?? OR should i change the propshaft end to a 3 lug hole to fit the gearbox?? whats the best way around this??

Regards

Jimi
ronaldo
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by ronaldo »

Hereby another picture of the diff. between the shafts :wink:

Madhatter
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by Madhatter »

thats the difference between the 4 speed and 5 speed. Doesnt really apply here :)

The diff is normal, the driveshaft is 2 piece and you dont always have the same flange type on both ends. So the end of the shaft which connects to the gearbox is a 4 bolt flange? it will probably be easier to find a replacement flange than the correct front length of the shaft.
[url=http://www.blackbmw.net][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/madhatter_/weblink.jpg[/img][/url]
ronaldo
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by ronaldo »

correctly, but if you've a 4 speed and you only change it into 5 speed you'll be in trouble - so I would buy it incl. the shaft etc.
Mcinek
E21 Fanatic
My E21(s): '80 BMW 323i

Post by Mcinek »

ronaldo wrote:correctly, but if you've a 4 speed and you only change it into 5 speed you'll be in trouble - so I would buy it incl. the shaft etc.
You can always cut the 4 speed shaft and get it balaced.
BMW E21 323i - My beloved classic car.
BMW "Freude am Fahren"
Marcin
ac/dennis
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by ac/dennis »

But thats the last thing one would do!
Madhatter
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by Madhatter »

not really. Its not all that expensive to have it done, its difficult to find shafts sometimes and they only come as a complete unit when new (very expensive).
hadrian
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by hadrian »

Anyone know if you could use the 5th gear from an OD gearbox and 1,2,3 and fourth gears from a sport gearbox?