TWR 335i

e21-Mark
E21 Master
My E21(s): 316 m52/2.8 Cat Cams & Jenvey ITB
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JackyardBackoff

TWR 335i

Post by e21-Mark »

I thought I would just post a couple of photos of my new project car. It's a genuine TWR 335i and one of three cars that was produced back in 1982. The specification includes 3.5 m30 engine, Alpina gearbox casing and LSD with extended cooling fin cover. There are also Alpina spoilers and a Recaro interior. I still have work to do before it will be back on the road but it should be a bit of a beast with 240bhp and loads of torque.

Peter V.
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): '82 320/6

Re: TWR 335i

Post by Peter V. »

Please tell us more and give some pictures away :!:
Gr Peter V.

.Some say he eats nuts and bolts for breakfast, all we know is he is called the carburetorman.

BMW E21, 1981 320/6 Ascot Grau.
BMW E85, 2004 Z4 2.5i Sterling Grau.
BMW F31, 2017 320dA EDE Luxuryline Mineral Grau.
Mobster

Post by Mobster »

Wow, nice motor. Is this the car you were talking about the other day. Did you buy this from the guy selling the E21 LSD on ebay ?
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

Hi Mark,

Glad it worked out... congrats! And still I'm wondering if it's he car in the test.

Anyway, work to do, but definitely worth while, rare car!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
e21-Mark
E21 Master

Post by e21-Mark »

Cheers guys. Yes, same guy as sold LSD. It's the sister car to the one in the test. There were 3 built and 2 remain. This is chassis number TWR003.

I'll post some more pics once it's home.

One of the first jobs is to have the new head flowed and Schrick cam installed. Once the engine is fired up there is actually minimal work left to do on the body. It has to be one of the most solid e21's I have ever seen. I'm going to treat all the chassis rails while the front panel is off and then weigh up exactly what to do re paint. Obviously, it will remain as it left TWR. I plan to record the whole restoration anyway. My goal is to have it MOT'd in time for next years Sharknose Meet in Holland. ;)
Mobster

Post by Mobster »

Fair play mate, you deserve it. Looking forward to the pics and the restoration. Glad you are going to keep it standard.
blk 323
Newbee

Post by blk 323 »

Nice purchase, I really look forward to your updates on this one.
e21-Mark
E21 Master

Post by e21-Mark »

Just a couple more photos....

The boot floor, rear turrets & beneath the rear screen are all spotless with no rust or rot.

The head has been removed to allow the bores to be inspected and there is no wear to speak of. There certainly no ridge at the top of the bores and the bores themselves are in great condition.

Before I fit the new front panel etc, I am going to take the chance to paint and detail the engine bay. The is a brand new custom rad all ready to slot in. There is a brand new head which I plan to have flowed before I fit the Schrick cam to compliment the bigger valves already fitted. It's being built up to 240bhp specification.

You can see just how little room is left between the block and the bulkhead. I'm going to fit a tubular manifold and exhaust system. Hopefully, I will be able to get www.christullettexhausts.com to fabricate it as they did a great job on MIB. I have plenty to do before I need to worry about that though.

Obviously there are staggered Alpina rims which will also be refurbished at some point. I'm not going to stress too much about cosmetics though. I'm more concerned with getting it mechanically sorted. The pretty stuff can wait.

I've decided to keep all the period ICE and fit it here rather than in MIB. I think it'll make a nice final touch to the mint Recaro interior.

The next job is bringing it home and putting it in my garage. As luck would have it, I've finally found one just around the corner! Once it's here I can start writing a massive ''to do'' list. :lol:
lemonayd
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): 1981 Bmw 323i manual Ascot Grey

Post by lemonayd »

Wow what a nice find mate :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: this will be one to follow if MIBs anything to go by you'll probably get over 100 pages.
got any pics of the recaro interior mate, is it in the blue,green or in standard colours..keep the pics flowing mark, congrats on the find......

..........ayds
All Men Truly Die, But Not All Men Have Truly Lived

www.pristinebodyworks.co.uk
tyson 320i/323i
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by tyson 320i/323i »

that is one sweet car you have there. im really jealous of the collection youre starting
e21-Mark
E21 Master

Post by e21-Mark »

Here's a little teaser for you...

The interior is Recaro but they've trimmed the seats to match the doorcards etc. I was unsure about the authenticity of the steering wheel however, it seems it is the one supplied by TWR.

With regard to the period ICE, I have managed to get the final missing components and now have the amp and pre-amp to match. I just need to decide which speakers to go with although that's a way off yet.

tyson 320i/323i
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by tyson 320i/323i »

thats just cruel.
i really like how you are keeping everything "period". this makes me want to take a trip to your side of the pond to see it in person
nas80
E21 Mad

Post by nas80 »

I bet you are well chuffed with it.
[img]http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/nasbucket/forumsig.jpg[/img]
e21-Mark
E21 Master

Post by e21-Mark »

nas80 wrote:I bet you are well chuffed with it.
You could be right mate. FAP
Silver Surfer
E21 Fanatic

Post by Silver Surfer »

Well done mate! Good to finally see it after the teasing messages! :D