BMW 323i M50 2.5

rob0r
E21 Pro

Re: BMW 323i M50 2.5 - MOT'd

Post by rob0r »

Since I can't work on the car I might as well spend some money... Two cobra monacos on their way from sunny Scotland! Hopefully they will fit my "fuller" figure. I won't be fitting them until the car is caged in a few months, but buying them is one less thing off my list.

ImageImage
e21-Mark
E21 Master
My E21(s): 316 m52/2.8 Cat Cams & Jenvey ITB
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JackyardBackoff

Post by e21-Mark »

How much Rob? I might be selling the ones from my racer to get a Recaro thats a bit wider and unsure what they're worth?
rob0r
E21 Pro

Post by rob0r »

We agreed a price, he sent me his paypal details, I sent the money and then I got a PM off the guy this morning saying he just sold them to his mate instead... So one paypal refund later and I'm back to square one! Mark, these were the seats, we agreed £125 delivered http://www.driftworks.com/forum/parts-s ... ckets.html

If you fancy selling yours, I'm in the market...
ImageImage
e21-Mark
E21 Master

Post by e21-Mark »

I've been offered a wide Corbeau which is very nice but pretty expensive. If I can get the guy to drop his price a bit I will match the £125 you paid for these.

I'll text him in the morning. I also have to buy a subframe so hope he'll negotiate a bit?
rob0r
E21 Pro

Post by rob0r »

Texted ;)
ImageImage
e21-Mark
E21 Master

Post by e21-Mark »

Phone's in the kitchen and as am in bed I'll reply in the morning.
rob0r
E21 Pro

Post by rob0r »

I might be slow to reply as I'm currently 4 hours behind UK time, I asked if they were side mounted and could you bring them to the shoot!
ImageImage
rob0r
E21 Pro

Post by rob0r »

Last week was an interesting week. Tuesday evening, I fitted an anti-roll bar to the rear and ended up smashing the car into a grass bank at 50mph on a straight bit of road. Wednesday evening I checked the car over and removed the offending ARB, removed copious amounts of soil and grass from underneath the car, it looks like I got away with the smash! Thursday Nas came over to stay and pointed out that my rack is excessively travelling when the steering wheel is turned, no wonder it feels odd! Friday was the E21 group photo shoot for PPC, I did a hard launch on the runway and destroyed one of my driveshafts... :bag

M50's fo sho!

ImageImage
rob0r
E21 Pro

Post by rob0r »

Although I've only had the car on the road for a month, I'm not happy with it so I'm cashing the road tax in and taking it off again. It will be back with an E30 rear axle, solid mounted steering rack, weld in custom cage and perhaps an E30 pedalbox and dash mounted brake servo...
ImageImage
murran
E21 Pro

Re: BMW 323i M50 2.5 - On the road, photoshoot, off the road

Post by murran »

shame your taking it straight off the road. :(
your racks excessivly traveling? what does that mean?
you mean its squashing around in the bushes when your rocking the steering wheel? thats what mine was doing. you could see the rack moving side to side by at least 8mm. doesnt move at all now with those poly bushes i made!
do you want a pair? i'll send you some for a tenner? im too tramp to bother with colour pigment so they come in one colour..... a slightly see-thru piss colour. :)

i'll be watching these things your doing with interest anyway!

btw, did you give nas some beam bushes and a diff link?
Jeroen wrote:Bmwe21.net, for all your insurance solutions :P
rob0r
E21 Pro

Post by rob0r »

It is a shame, but I can't afford the time or money to sort it properly at the moment!
Yeah the whole rack is shifting left to right in the bushes, I couldn't believe how much the rack was moving!! A tenner you say?? Definitely worth a go, sure why not! Thanks!
When we were on the farm we nearly went looking for the bushes but it ended up so late we left it! Not sure what Nas is doing yet... I should have beam and beam bushes spare.

I'm extremely tempted to get the axle off the E21 tonight, but I need to break an E34 first... Lame! I'm currently tempted to solid mount the E30 axle at the moment, that would make it nice and easy to do.
ImageImage
murran
E21 Pro

Post by murran »

cool i'll make you a pair. could you stick a tenner in our lasses paypal? then it can go towards more poly stuff when i next buy some on egay. (i'll pm you the addy in abit.)
Jeroen wrote:Bmwe21.net, for all your insurance solutions :P
rob0r
E21 Pro

Post by rob0r »

Cheers matey! Awaiting paypal address...
Cheers!
ImageImage
rob0r
E21 Pro

Re: BMW 323i M50 2.5 - M50 1, Driveshaft 0

Post by rob0r »

As mentioned, within one month of running the M50 on the road (I was away on business for two of them) I managed to obliterate my offside driveshaft CV joint. At the PPC photoshoot I gave a little bit of a hard launch and snaked down the runway, on the way back up from the runway something was clunking around in the rear axle and the car was spinning up the nearside wheel... this is why!

I love the fact there are ball bearing shapes and hole pressed all around the CV!

I wasn't going hard on the car at all, especially compared if I went to a drift day for example, so I've learnt I can't trust the 323i rear axle. I'm going to be trial fitting an E30 axle to one of my spares cars to see exactly how difficult it's going to be. I'm not sure when it will be done, but put it this way, I'm cashing the tax in!
ImageImage
Jason_323i
E21 Pro
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/e21jason

Re: BMW 323i M50 2.5 - M50 1, Driveshaft 0

Post by Jason_323i »

From my messing around a e30 rear if you soild mount it is easy, I found an e34 small (188) case back plate works better than the e30 back plate, can do you a solid mount e28 rear axle as I have the jig but you would need to run e36 5stud rims on the rear

Jason
BMW e21 race car supercharged s14 cage and fabrication by www.chizfab.com
Z3M Coupe
2.8 Z3 Coupe
Caterham Supersport
Clio 172 Cup factory race car(50%)
Ferrari 348 Challenge track car