BMW 323i M50 2.5

rob0r
E21 Pro

BMW 323i M50 2.5

Post by rob0r »

Yes... another one! Thanks to Retrobeemer for the hookup, I picked this up about 3 weeks ago. I've forgotten to take photos before I put it in the workshop, so have some rubbishy ones.

A mishap involving me assuming the brakes were seized lead to the car flying into the trailer winch when I temporarily moved it on the farm... Smashed valance and destroyed number plate! Luckily I'm getting rid of most of the valance and although the bumper wasn't touched that's being removed as well.

You may wonder why the bonnet's off, well that mess isn't hanging around in there for long! I despise K-Jet and the engine doesn't sound too perky

It needs full sills both sides, some welding to the rear wheel arch, inner front wing and chassis rails. Then it'll get an MOT and smoked around this summer with a welded diff.
Last edited by rob0r on Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 11 times in total.

ImageImage
rob0r
E21 Pro

Post by rob0r »

Ah, found some pre smash pics!

ImageImage
murran
E21 Pro

Post by murran »

has steveie wonder been doing some wiring mods under the bonnet? loving that relay kicking about near the battery! :lol: :shock:
Jeroen wrote:Bmwe21.net, for all your insurance solutions :P
DrGonzoPOW
E21 Pro

Post by DrGonzoPOW »

Yeeeeeeeha!
Wakefield Hellfire
rob0r
E21 Pro

Post by rob0r »

Tell me about it, the wiring bodgery doesn't stop there!
ImageImage
e21-Mark
E21 Master
My E21(s): 316 m52/2.8 Cat Cams & Jenvey ITB
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JackyardBackoff

Post by e21-Mark »

Wonder how much Laserchrom charged for fitting that? :shock:
--ALPINA--
E21 Pro

Post by --ALPINA-- »

Looks like that relay is connected to the electric fan doesnt it?

j
(- (- (- ---- Project 911 on the hunt ----) -) -)
rob0r
E21 Pro

Post by rob0r »

I have the laserchrome reciepts, I can't remember off the top of my head but it wasn't cheap. The engine may need the tappets adjusting, or the head assembly is worn. What I don't get is that it's a 2.5 complete engine, they've taken off the far superior motronic and stapled on the K-jet. It's massively over fuelling the car and runs horribly. But this is being taken care of and the K jet is going in the bin.

Yeah the relay is for the fan. The rad is coming out anyway so it will be sorted properly. The ignition electics are bust and the car starts with a toggle switch and push button, you still need the key though for the steering... there are some interesting touches in this car for sure.

Just put an order in Beevers for some new sills. I've traded with my mate a rotten mini clubman if he sorts the sills!
ImageImage
Jason_323i
E21 Pro
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/e21jason

Post by Jason_323i »

Rob

I meant to Pm you as I have soem sills cheap if you can cancel your order

Jason
BMW e21 race car supercharged s14 cage and fabrication by www.chizfab.com
Z3M Coupe
2.8 Z3 Coupe
Caterham Supersport
Clio 172 Cup factory race car(50%)
Ferrari 348 Challenge track car
op6
Newbee

Post by op6 »

Are those seats original? If not and you are planning to ditch them I would be keen on the adaptor rails. Cheers
rob0r
E21 Pro

Post by rob0r »

No, they've been made by welding on the E21 rails onto the new seat rails. IMO it's not been done very well and you really wouldn't want them! The seats are at all angles. They're getting removed as we speak, when the car's ready it will be getting recaros for the time being.

I've had E30 sport seats modified to fit in another E21, and it's really an easy process. Get the seats you want, cut off the seat mounts off the rails and weld them onto the E21 rails.
ImageImage
op6
Newbee

Post by op6 »

I've had E30 sport seats modified to fit in another E21, and it's really an easy process. Get the seats you want, cut off the seat mounts off the rails and weld them onto the E21 rails.[/quote]

As usual a font of information and sound advice, what a cunning plan, much better than removing the plinths / scaffolding that the E21 seats bolt onto.
The result using your method doesn't leave the seat too high?
rob0r
E21 Pro

Post by rob0r »

A little, but it's not unbearable. Look in my other thread about my M50 project, there's photos on the first couple of pages.
ImageImage
op6
Newbee

Post by op6 »

Looked up your M50 project, saw the seats, but spent another hour reading the trials and tribulations of your project - fascinating, if only I had some of your knowledge and abilities. I am very impressed.

Cheers Don
rob0r
E21 Pro

Post by rob0r »

op6 wrote:Looked up your M50 project, saw the seats, but spent another hour reading the trials and tribulations of your project - fascinating, if only I had some of your knowledge and abilities. I am very impressed.

Cheers Don
Thanks, although I don't think I deserve it! I removed the original engine two years ago and I've failed to complete three seperate engine swaps in the car! The black one is sitting tight now since I want an E21 done ASAP, so I'm concentrating on this grey one.

We should see some progress on this car sooner than later, tonight I'm firing up the grinder!
ImageImage