BMW 323i M50 2.5

e21-Mark
E21 Master
My E21(s): 316 m52/2.8 Cat Cams & Jenvey ITB
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JackyardBackoff

Post by e21-Mark »

I thought one of the standard 5 series ones is a 90 degree one anyway?

rob0r
E21 Pro

Post by rob0r »

I love the one with the silicone hoses! I like quirky little mods like that. An adapter would be a good idea though, hadn't thought of that. Jason has kindly sent me a V8 rubber as he reckons that might gain some clearance so I'm going to report back when I get that through as well. I'm still tempted to cut the inner wing and make the ultimate cold air induction system inbetween the inner and outer wing. By the way, call me Rob - I hate the username Wiz0r, I'd change it if I could!

Retro: They stick out too far... this one is an E36 M50 rubber since the E34 is even closer to the inner wing. This picture was taken when the engine was in my 316, notice there is no bracket for the airbox/Kjet that is there on the 323i, this will have to be cut off.

ImageImage
e21-Mark
E21 Master

Post by e21-Mark »

Shame. I'm sure you'll solve it eventually.
rob0r
E21 Pro

Post by rob0r »

I'm definitely not viewing it as a problem, same with the sump really. I like challenges!
ImageImage
e21-Mark
E21 Master

Post by e21-Mark »

:lol: :lol:
rob0r
E21 Pro

Post by rob0r »

Off to get a certain someone's boot lid and spoiler... And hoping to get some done on the M50 tonight.
ImageImage
tommi_e21
E21 Mad

Post by tommi_e21 »

ahhhhh man wish i had read this earlyer, i got a full tanl of fuel, could of come over n played m50's with you tonight, i fancy a road trip, would get me in mood for working on my car tomorrow. i reckon inside the inner wing your going to get a drop in air pressure so be worse, your better off building an airbox and then ramming the air in from the front, using a hella conversion grill with out the inner light, thats my long term plan, need an m50 to begin with first though
rob0r
E21 Pro

Post by rob0r »

Well pretty much every wednesday (with the odd exception) and one day of the weekends if I can will be spent M50'ing if you do fancy a visit. Only doing boring stuff tonight like fabbing up radiator/electric fan mounts, for once I will not be using cable ties!!

Have you seen my E28? Filter for a light!
ImageImage
tommi_e21
E21 Mad

Post by tommi_e21 »

well if im free next wednesday after work then i may pop down n say ello and your e28 is pimping mo fo!!!!!
rob0r
E21 Pro

Post by rob0r »

Feel free to come visit, though try not to arrive too late as I have early starts the next day!
ImageImage
tommi_e21
E21 Mad

Post by tommi_e21 »

might make it an exhaust pick up visit, i finish work at 6 and you bout an hour n bit drive away ish so be there at around half 7 if thats still sensible???
rob0r
E21 Pro

Post by rob0r »

Yeah that should be fine, I thought you lived more than an hour and half away though!
ImageImage
tommi_e21
E21 Mad

Post by tommi_e21 »

used to be a somerset boy, hence why i worked at fritz for a while but live in hertfordshire now, letchworth, and i work at mercedes benz in stevenage,
rob0r
E21 Pro

Post by rob0r »

This week's progress. Radiator, radiator mounts, electric fan mounts and sorted the exhaust manifolds. It's involved some fabrication which is one of the things I most enjoy about these builds, though my welds aren't the tidiest they are certainly strong enough!

Radiator, radiator and electric fan mounts
E36 328i is a good fit, better than the smaller M42 radiator in fact. 323i radiators have the rad openings in the wrong place and with the 328i I know I've got more than enough cooling capacity. So I bought one and made some bottom mounts

I didn't fancy fixing the electric mounts on with the ties which go through the fins of the radiator, so I over engineered a metal brace doubling up as the top rad mounts and nicely secures the kenlowe fan.

Close, but fits lovely, zip ties are temporary until I find some bolts to secure the top of the rad.

328i Exhaust manifold modification:
The situation is that the exhaust manifolds will actually clear the steering linkage with this engine in the tilted position using the 323i subframe and mounts, but you won't get a downpipe on it... Here's the manifolds unmodified

When I tried to mount a downpipe I realised it wasn't that far out... so I hacksawed the manifold nearly the whole way through and manipulated it to give me the right amount of clearance, here is the result:

I just needed to fill the existing gap, luckily I found a perfectly sized strip of scrap metal:

ZAP!

The result:

The exhaust flange was behind the steering knuckle previously so I've made a lot of clearance, but it's still going to be tight. I should be able to fit a downpipe flange and bolt it up nicely, and I don't have to worry about much engine movement against the steering linkage since I practically solid engine mounts. Worst case scenario is I have to lop the flange off and weld the downpipe straight on, then I'll have all the clearance in the world.
ImageImage
tommi_e21
E21 Mad

Post by tommi_e21 »

love it mate, that does look mighty close though i have to say, good work, are you gonna come to my crimbo party in a couple o weeks?