Making the Most of Social Distancing With Your e21

Anything that doesn't fit the other categories. Direct link: How to post photos and videos
e21Keith
E21 Fanatic
My E21(s): '81 323i Manual

Making the Most of Social Distancing With Your e21

Post by e21Keith »

Like many others I'm observing Social Distancing, at least in part because I now have virtually no work thanks to the epidemic.

With the weather getting better every day I'm starting to work through all the jobs outdoors that I haven't done for months, so I've cut the grass and I'm working my way through cleaning and polishing the fleet of cars that the family own. My e21 sits in the garage, peeking out from under its cover asking me to fit the rebuilt engine and change all the fluids again so when I'm done with all the excuses I'm going to start on that job. Afterwards I will get back to my e30 which still sits un-started for nearly 20 years on the driveway, engine refitted, just the engine electrics to sort out and it should run.

Friends in the e21 community, please lighten my day, tell me what you have planned for your car during this period of isolation, help me get more enthusiastic about my projects and to make some more progress?

e21power
Newbee

Re: Making the Most of Social Distancing With Your e21

Post by e21power »

I resprayed mine on Monday!

https://ibb.co/VYf2P3z
Last edited by e21power on Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

Nice initiative Keith, and nice 'n shiny stuff e21power!

Some of you may have noticed, my buddy and I sold our Lapis blue 323i. The buyer wanted a whole bunch of upgrades installed, like a LSD, Bilstein B8 shocks, Eibach Pro Kit springs, new clutch, brakes all freshed up with an overhaul, pads and discs, fresh foam under the hood and a Luisi sports steering wheel. So that's what we spent the past few weekends on. Only weekends as I work in food production so I'm at work 5 days a week. Could do with some more spare time!

Regards/groeten, Jeroen
e21Keith
E21 Fanatic

Post by e21Keith »

I always love the look of a car in fresh paint.
Wow that's beautiful, perfect, just not so sure about the steering wheel. The pictures are inspirational, time to stop watching daytime TV and feeling sorry for myself. I got laid off from my job on Thursday and my partner went back to work today (she works in a care home for people with learning disabilities).
I've done a couple of small jobs, one was putting together the front bumper for my e30. I've been looking at my recon engine for the e21, took the sump off for a look, the gasket is much thicker than the new one that I had delivered, like comparing cardboard with paper. Maybe this is the reason for my sump leak issues. My guess is that originally the e21 had a thicker sump gasket to take care of the irregularities of a pressed steel sump and the e30 with a cast alloy sump could get away with thinner one. As the same gasket will fit both engines my guess is that BMW (and everyone else) standardised on a thinner one!
Lets see more photos on the forum during this time of isolation please?
Smartie
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): 320/6 '78 rip
323i '78 wip

Post by Smartie »

Well some troubles to access the e21 as the old lady where a store my car has a bad health, better keep away.

Still got a steering house to demount en clean to get repaired. Cannot get it apart, next step is to heat it up.
Last step is the big tools, but do not want to break it.

Interested to start with the airco pump, but first have to find more detailed exploded views and other info. Before taking it apart. So searching for info.

Also have laying around a heavy turning diff to inspect and probably take apart. Will be the second, first one has about 500 km on it. Will inspect that one first to see if I have done a good job.

But when the sun shines me and my kid are outside in the garden. At least he he is enjoying a 4 day weekend!

Good luck every one
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Did you try one of these balljoint splitters Martin? Especially on tie rods these usually work great!

Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Smartie
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
323i '78 wip

Post by Smartie »

Thanks Jeroen, that we all took apart.

I am dismantling the steering house itself.
Normally Rini does this him self but mine is stuck en probably corrosion inside. I need to get the ring away that holds the pipe between the 2 allu parts.
1 is already off the 1 to the part where the steering collum goes one, and the hydraulic goes in is stuck as hell.
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Oops, than can be a pain indeed, no hints there I'm afraid. Good luck!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
guerciotti
E21 starter
My E21(s): 1981 European 316 1.6

Post by guerciotti »

I adjusted my valve clearances on Saturday. Strangely enough they were actually a bit tight rather than too loose. The valve cover was missing a washer so someone has probably had a go at it in the past and tightened by too much !

Good to see that the camshaft was immaculate - no scoring or obvious wear
BertjeConti
E21 Mad
My E21(s): E12 520-6

Post by BertjeConti »

guerciotti wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:14 pm I adjusted my valve clearances on Saturday. Strangely enough they were actually a bit tight rather than too loose. The valve cover was missing a washer so someone has probably had a go at it in the past and tightened by too much !

Good to see that the camshaft was immaculate - no scoring or obvious wear
Thats normal wearing, valves and seats wear at the mating surface, so thats why clearance becomes tighter.
Megasquirted '77 E12 520-6

Aspen Silver '96 E39 523i
e21Keith
E21 Fanatic

Post by e21Keith »

Progress is still slow. Unfortunately my Father died of Covid19 two weeks ago, he was 93. Hence a lot of my time has been taken up with his affairs and everything associated with this seems to take so much longer because of the lockdown. At least I don't have to go to work until things start to get back to normal.
On my e21 I delivered the original block and the recon short motor to the engine rebuilders, I wanted to have everything checked and to retain my original block, should take about 3 weeks for them to complete.
On my e30 I've dusted it off and trying to get it started (see the thread in the e30 section). Want to get this one MOTd and drive it a bit this year.
I replaced my daily driver e90 330d SE Saloonwith a slightly older but much better spec and lower mileage e90 330d Sport Touring. I love these although I think the e46 is a better driver's car. I only drive manual transmission cars as I'm still capable of choosing and changing gears myself.
My e39 M5 I sent the interior mirror away to have a new glass fitted as the old one was leaking fluid and didn't work, due to delays in the postage it's taken over a week so far.
My partner's e46 325ti Sport, cleaned and polished
Passat 2.0 Tdi new front tyres and took the winter tyres off.
Passat 1.9Tdi Saloon which I bought for £200 to transport the dog in, polished and cleaned, drives pretty well for a throw away car.
So what's left? e30 325i Cabriolet is in storage and I can't get it out, so will stay there a while longer.
I also have three children, so there is an e46 330Ci, Honda Civic and a Corsa to attend to plus I bought a Fiesta for my step son, he was supposed to come back from New Zealand last month but is stuck there and can't get back. Oh, two other step children, another Fiesta and another e46 325ti Sport that I get to help look after as well.
My partner and I have decided that our home needs some serious work, very little has been done in the last 20 years, I have agreed with the proviso that I can have a bigger garage and more space for cars, but that's a project for next year!
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

First of all I'm so sorry for your loss, condolences buddy! Good luck in dealing with the loss of your dad.

As for the cars... wow you have enough tin cans laying around haha, then these times may be a bit of a blessing as well even though that sounds weird, but it might give you some time to catch up now. I know what its like, before you know it all your free time goes up in fixing things and getting ready for MOTs. Perhaps now you get to a point where they don't need that much attention and you even get to drive a few... given they start in the first place!

Sad and nice parts in your update, but thanks for sharing all this. Any pics?
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
uwbuurman
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): 1978 type 1 323i 5speed dogleg Polaris

Post by uwbuurman »

My condolences. 93 is a respectable age, but never the less, loosing ones dad is a burden.
It's the man next door!

1978 BMW 323i
1980 BMW 528i maior restitutio
1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet
2006 BMW 320d touring High Executive
2015 BMW 320dA touring xDrive High Executive ///Msport
Smartie
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
323i '78 wip

Post by Smartie »

My condolences.

A lot of cars to look after. You will need a lot of space.

I started replacing the rear subframe bushes.
The old one almost fall out of the frame.
Strong flex new received.

Got a second hand sand blaster for small parts.
Need to get it on wheels to use it out side, for the dust.
And made some extra storage cabinets in the garage to get more space to move around.
e21Keith
E21 Fanatic

Post by e21Keith »

As my other thread details, the e30 now has an MOT after probably 15 years of inactivity.

e21 engine is still at the machine shop, I should have the short motor back in about 7-10 days. Then I need to pull the current engine and get swapping bits over ready to refit, ordered a new set of injectors!