New Project Mercedes 300 Sl-24 and e21 Back From Storage

Anything that doesn't fit the other categories. Direct link: How to post photos and videos
e21Keith
E21 Fanatic
My E21(s): '81 323i Manual

New Project Mercedes 300 Sl-24 and e21 Back From Storage

Post by e21Keith »

I've had builders at my home since December because my partner wanted to redesign the downstairs, new kitchen, rear extension (all the boring stuff). This was my opportunity to have a larger garage, so I now have a double width, 2.5 length garage, They are laying the final finish to the floor this week and then I can start fitting it out. My e21 and e30 have been is storage since mid January. Not having the e21 here has felt really bad, it's like being out of contact with my children (whom I also haven't seen since Christmas). This Friday the e21 will come out of storage and be back in my garage.
I've also bought a new stablemate, a 1991 Mercedes 300 Sl-24. About 10 years ago I owned a neglected 500 SL which I drove for a while, fixed the aircon, replaced the rusty front wings but declined the job of fixing the oil leaks. The 300 is an ex-concourse car, featured in the Mercedes club magazine until the last owner bought it in 2006. It's had very little use since 2006 and is still in fabulous condition although the lack of use has revealed a couple of issues. The aircon doesn't work and there is no gas in it (unfortunately it's the evaporator that fails on these) and there is a leak of oil from the front of the head gasket (another weak point particularly on cars that have seen little use). The after market radio will be the first thing to go!
There's always work to do but I expect I will be decorating the whole inside of the house for some time so won't get around to any major car work for a while.

Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Re: New Project Mercedes 300 Sl-24 and e21 Back From Storage

Post by Jeroen »

A lot of projects going on there, and it sounds like youçe got yourself another beautiful way of keeping you off the streets! Still, hope you do get the chance to hit the streets in the E21 or E30 every once in a while as well!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
uwbuurman
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): 1978 type 1 323i 5speed dogleg Polaris

Post by uwbuurman »

Hahaa, where I live, all builders drive a Merc. So for me, 1 and 1 are 2. But congrats on the buy, on the garage and, ofcourse, with the happy wife.
It's the man next door!

1978 BMW 323i
1980 BMW 528i maior restitutio
1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet
2006 BMW 320d touring High Executive
2015 BMW 320dA touring xDrive High Executive ///Msport
e21Keith
E21 Fanatic

Post by e21Keith »

At last the builders have gone and I have three cars in my garage, e21 323i, e30 325i cabriolet and the Mercedes R129 300-24 SL. Got some shelves put up rebuilt my Father's work bench that he had since the 60's so it's now totally solid.

I'm on decorating and finishing duties in the house and garden and I expect it will take me to the end of the year until everything is finished, so not as much time as I would like to play with my cars :(

I've done a few bits on the Mercedes, first thing was to get rid of was the after market radio and fit a Mercedes single DIN radio CD. Haven't had time to do anything about the non working cruise, aircon or remote locking but spent some time on the oil leak which got much worse as I used the car. One "expert" told me it needed a new head gasket, he wanted to change a load of other bits at the same time which I didn't think was necessary so I went for a second opinion. The second opinion was that it was the front cover so they removed and changed the gaskets and seals. It's still leaking from the front of the engine and I'm sure the rocker cover is leaking now, once I've done that we can see if it's from the front of the head in which case it will need a head gasket. There was a second much more severe leak from the pipes which connect to the oil cooler from the filter housing, but I've done those now.

Hoping Covid doesn't hit us with a nasty third wave and that I can get out to some shows and events with the cars this year.
uwbuurman
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by uwbuurman »

Nice steps! Make sure that that crankcase vent is open, of else it will keep on building pressure and blowing out gaskets
It's the man next door!

1978 BMW 323i
1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

All in good time but looking forward to more progress on the cars haha
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
e21Keith
E21 Fanatic

Post by e21Keith »

Quick update.

Managed to get most things fixed on the Mercedes, just the cruise control is intermittent now. It all seems to run OK, quite pleasant to drive but it doesn't have any character, it's just boring to drive, I haven't bonded with it at all. So it has to go, at the moment we have 9 cars and I'm running out of space!

So we bought an MX5 NC, not strictly a classic but so far proving a great drive. It's low mileage, ultra clean, nothing wrong with it at all, could do with some front brake pads soon, had to take the dash cam out because it rattled. My partner has already taken the keys off me and has told me it's her car.

The e21 and e30 are sitting under covers in the garage, I think their only outings this year will be for the MOT as I'm still stuck in the world of DIY projects on the house.
uwbuurman
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by uwbuurman »

So the Benz is a goner? World of DIY, tell me about it... Same here. Yesterday my wife was making a list of to do's this year "that we need to do", so they were all chores that I have to do. I glanced it over and suggested to burn the old house down and build a new one. Saves a lot of work.

Oh and those MX-5 are realy fun drivercars, indeed.
It's the man next door!

1978 BMW 323i
1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Not surprised the MB is not offering a very inspiring drive haha. On the other hand, any MX5 is great fun to drive. Special place in my heart for the raw NA original with its old school analog feel and the amazingly direct steering rack, the steering qualities any E21 or E30 should have!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
e21Keith
E21 Fanatic

Post by e21Keith »

I think we have almost built a new house now anyway, not much remains untouched, however I'm getting used to the massive DIY projects, 2 years ago I renovated a rental property and I expect the next project will be to renovate another rental property :(

I was looking for an MX5 Mk1 (NA) and ended up with the mark 3 (NC). I appreciate the purity of the NA but finding one in nice condition was proving very hard, eventually an immaculate and low mileage NC came up locally at less than the cost of an NA, so the deal was done.

I have owned somewhere between 150-200 cars in my time, gave up counting when I got to 115 a few years back (and no I'm not a dealer) This is my first Japanese car and I'm quite impressed so far, the build quality is excellent although some parts seem a little flimsy compared to a BMW. The design is quite pure, everything well thought out, good ergonomics, not much in the way of unnecessary equipment, it does what it's supposed to do. Yes it's a bit noisy so you wouldn't want to take it on a long drive and the heated seats are either on or off so they get too hot, the interior is a bit plasticky, but everything else is really good, the steering is so direct and the brakes are so sharp, definitely a driver's car.

Lets see if this one turns into a keeper, one thing I know for sure is that it will never replace my e21 or e30.
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Let's see how this develops then haah. But yes, these cars are no BMW's, but good value for money indeed!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
nic65
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Re: Nuovo progetto Mercedes 300 Sl-24 ed e21 Back From Storage

Post by nic65 »

I bought a MX5 NBfl in April