Fully restored E21 won’t accelerate.

For all your questions, problems and DIY stories
priest 008
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Fully restored E21 won’t accelerate.

Post by priest 008 »

Hi guys, good to be back on here. So finally the car is looking more complete. The restoration was not as professional as some of the beautiful ones I’ve seen here since I’m not that wealthy to change so many things. On the engine I spent a lot. The mechanic took the carb to pieces (Solex 4A1) the factory carb that came with my BMW e21 320/6. I bought a rebuild kit from Walloon Nesh and also a new diaphragm. The mechanic clean it out with thinner and blasted it with compressed air and rebuilt it. Fuel seems to be coming and the car does start up but as soon as he accelerates the car dies. We’re really lost for words......anyone know what it may be? Much thanks.

Peter V.
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): '82 320/6

Re: Fully restored E21 won’t accelerate.

Post by Peter V. »

Hey,

Nice to hear from you again.

You have to give me more information about the things that are done to the carb.

* Are the basic setups done correctly?
* Is this during warmup or at normal temperature?
* Does it start cold and warm like it should en idles correct?
* You have to set the lever of the acc.pump correctly but you can only do that after adjusting the idling rpm's.

Just some random questions.
Gr Peter V.

.Some say he eats nuts and bolts for breakfast, all we know is he is called the carburetorman.

BMW E21, 1981 320/6 Ascot Grau.
BMW E85, 2004 Z4 2.5i Sterling Grau.
BMW F31, 2017 320dA EDE Luxuryline Mineral Grau.
priest 008
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Re: Fully restored E21 won’t accelerate.

Post by priest 008 »

Hey Peter, thanksso much,good to be on here again. I am happy to say that work is almost done on teh car although I wish the sprayer would have been a bit more professional in his work.

You're asking me very good valid questions which I can't answer sadly.... I guess the basic setups were done correctly given that the mecchanic has lots of experience and took the carb off twice and cleaned it out with thinner and compressed air. I would say it is happenning during warm up but we don't wait long enough for the car to warm up in order to try it.

" You have to set the lever of the acc.pump correctly but you can only do that after adjusting the idling rpm's."

Would you be able to tellme how that's done step by step please?