Introduce yourself and get to know other E21 fanatics
Skintkarter
Newbee
My E21(s): Group 5 Replica Project
Facebook page: www.facebook.com/pages/Elan-Motorsport/

Re: usernames starting with S-T

Post by Skintkarter »

Hi Jeroen

Thanks for this - remains to be seen if it all works together! Thanks for this picture, I hadn't seen this one. It's exactly what we are aiming for, but may do the slot in the bonnet for the intercooler. Rest of the bodywork is planned to be this iteration. Although with running 18's all round, the front guards will be a bit more DTM.

Kind regards

Richard

tompato
Newbee
My E21(s): '83 316 manual 5 speed

Post by tompato »

Hi,

I'm Tom, I was told about this place from a guy on reddit where I was commenting on his air filter for his twin carbs. I always liked the e21's from since I was younger and last year I thought to hell with it, I'll buy myself one as life's too short and so for the past year I've been the owner of a 1983 E21 316.

It has needed some small things doing to it but I've been pretty lucky, the clutch release bearing did go and I got a new clutch assembly fitted but nothing else too major. I must admit I don't know a huge amount about cars and this is the first classic I've owned so it's been a bit of a learning experience and I've got a mechanic to do anything major, so I might be asking quite a few questions! There's a bit of rust at the front wheel arches and on the corner of the windshield (the second of which has been treated) so I am looking for somewhere that can sort out the rust on the front wheel arches, so if anyone can recommend anyone in the East of England that would be great.

And lastly a photo...

Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

Hi Tom, welcome here! Looks like a very decent car in a good paint color as well! Hope we can be of help here, enough UK members so no doubt really. And if you have some spare time and a few more pics, go ahead and make a nice report on the car in the 4 Cylinder section of the Owners Gallery. Enjoy!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
tompato
Newbee

Post by tompato »

Thanks for the kind welcome! I do have some better photos, I've just got to find what I did with them! (Also, this might be a really stupid question, but is the front BMW faceplate (kidneys) supposed to be plastic on these models? I don't want to clutter up a welcome thread so if anyone sees this and wishes to answer then feel free to PM me).
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

We recently did some digging with the Dutch bunch, your Q was a good reason to make a post on this in the Top tech topics section:
http://www.bmwe21.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=23231

Edit: sorry, overlooked the word kidneys :oops: , nope these should be some kind a chromed metal or polished aluminum I believe... unmarked ones are rare, new ones are expensive.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Peter V.
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): '82 320/6

Post by Peter V. »

Hey welcome.Keep the pictures comming.

Do you have plans with the car?
Gr Peter V.

.Some say he eats nuts and bolts for breakfast, all we know is he is called the carburetorman.

BMW E21, 1981 320/6 Ascot Grau.
BMW E85, 2004 Z4 2.5i Sterling Grau.
BMW F31, 2017 320dA EDE Luxuryline Mineral Grau.
tompato
Newbee

Post by tompato »

Jeroen wrote:Edit: sorry, overlooked the word kidneys :oops: , nope these should be some kind a chromed metal or polished aluminum I believe... unmarked ones are rare, new ones are expensive.
In which case this must have some with some replica ones, it was one of the things that didn't even occur to me to check when I bought it - I probably spent too long looking underneath the car!
Peter V. wrote:Do you have plans with the car?
I'm trying to keep it as original as possible, the interior is really good but I've replaced the small speakers as one of them had blown and when I bought the car there was a modern cd player wired in underneath the driver seat which I've since rewired and placed a cd player in the glove box compartment which I'm hoping to tidy up a bit and then the interior will look completely authentic (other than the re-carpeting it has had done). There's a few other things that need sorting, the plastic rim on the passenger side wing mirror is broken and is currently held on with electrical tape so I need a new housing for that, and also some chrome missing on the passenger side door. Just little things really.
TaylorGoesFast
Upcoming E21 fanatic
My E21(s): 83 320i, 95 325i Spec 3 Race Car

Post by TaylorGoesFast »

Hello all! I'm Taylor and I live outside of Washington, D.C. I've owned 5 E30s (none were good) an E46, and also I have an E36 325i that I've built into a wheel to wheel race car for the Spec 3 class of the National AutoSport association!

I picked up a barn find E21 and I've been working to get it back to its former glory (it's going very well!). Glad to be here!
2011 F150
1995 BMW 325i Spec 3 Race Car
2008 BMW 128i 6 Speed Sport Package
1983 BMW 320i
2005 Kinetic SC
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Thanks for that Taylor... and keep us posted! BTW feel free to share a pic of your E36 as well!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
TaylorGoesFast
Upcoming E21 fanatic
My E21(s): 83 320i, 95 325i Spec 3 Race Car

Post by TaylorGoesFast »

Jeroen wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:40 pm Thanks for that Taylor... and keep us posted! BTW feel free to share a pic of your E36 as well!

Although it looks more like this nowadays. I dropped a valve a week after buying my E21 so things have been tight trying to buy parts for both!

2011 F150
1995 BMW 325i Spec 3 Race Car
2008 BMW 128i 6 Speed Sport Package
1983 BMW 320i
2005 Kinetic SC
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

sorry to hear!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen