Aspen Silver '96 E39 523i
J.K.jr.bad.
Upcoming E21 fanatic
My E21(s): BMW 315, BMW 323
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/ADParts

Re: J.K.jr.bad. 315th

Post by J.K.jr.bad. »

And the story continues.

While car still had some electrical issues I wanted to do some more upgrades. One of the was making so called brake pedal box. As there was no way to put it on the flour because of seat getting into roll cage I tried to make it using original pedals. So let's see what we got and how it turned out.

So this is picture of how it was originaly in my car before modifications. Measured all clearances and looked like everything will fit. Tightly but fit.

Took off assembly

Cut off parts that will not be needed to make flat surface.

Made plate for cylinders and test fitted.

Fitted with cylinders. And test fitted again.

When everything was fitting fine. Painted and insulated with tape.

Installed.

Added piping bled the system and test drive. Was kind of disappointed. Some how brake pedal was quite heavy. But decided to wait till there was a chance to get on race track.

Next upgrade was injectors. First of all OEM injectors were low resistance. I could have modified VEMS ECU to work with these but if there is a chance to upgrade something to more modern par I'll definitely do it. So after long, long research I found 4 nozzle injectors that would fit and work properly without modifications. As it turned out that size of injector is just one parameter of it. Also there is a squirt angle, flow capacity of course, seating location, connector type etc. So these from Bosch with number 0280155868 were best for me.

Looks very similar but actually distance between O-rings were a bit different. Had to little bit modify fuel rail to have them in place.

The difference I was after.

So on some sunny spring day I was on a way to dyno for fine tuning. Filled up with 98 octane and headed.

Some turns before dyno place I noticed some strange view. A wheel was overtaking my car. And in next moment I understood that it could be from my rented trailer. :screwy Gladly it didn't hit anybody and anything except concrete wall. Somebody forgot to tighten wheels.. :sealed

All the dyno started with preheating spark plugs. Actually cleaning was necessary. :)

And let's fun begin!

As car stood for some while one rear wheel had some braking going on. :D Sure it ate some 50HP. :lol:

In process:

So slowly we got to this result. Nice flowing upcoming curve up to 6K RPM. Should be fun with dogleg gearbox!

On a way back to home got into accident. Somebody in front of lady's Volvo did emergency stop and I due to heavy load and soft winter tires had no chance to escape... :cry:

Not big damage but some repair had to be done.. Glad I had insurance which covered damage.

But there was no insurance for this damage.. I'm not an expert in tightening down cars so race car moved a bit and broke windshield. Gladly found a place to get a new one for reasonable price.

Last thing that I wanted to do before racing to refurbish Volvo 4pot Girlings. All zincked, new bushing etc.

Changed all copper tubing to braided lines. Much easier to install and looks much better.

A new suspension part as well were used.

That's it for this time. Next time we will do some racing. ;)

:launch
-----------------
J.K.jr.bad.
BertjeConti
E21 Mad
My E21(s): E12 520-6

Post by BertjeConti »

Very smooth power and torque curves. You did a good job.
Megasquirted '77 E12 520-6

Aspen Silver '96 E39 523i
uwbuurman
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): 1978 type 1 323i 5speed dogleg Polaris

Post by uwbuurman »

Nice job indeed!!
It's the man next door!

1978 BMW 323i
1980 BMW 528i maior restitutio
1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet
2006 BMW 320d touring High Executive
2015 BMW 320dA touring xDrive High Executive ///Msport
J.K.jr.bad.
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by J.K.jr.bad. »

Let's race! :launch

So in the end of April 2016 was first practice session for local mini Circuit racing event. Anybody interested in circuit racing are welcome to this happening. No matter what car you got. All you need is helmet.

But it didn't go well for me. On some second pass engine and propeler shaft were spining but car wasn't going anywhere. Looked like that diff didn't take those extra 100Hp that I fed it.
So we went home. But feelings were good. All good except braking. My home made pedal box somehow didn't work well although I had race pads (CL Brakes). Pedal was very hard and car didn't want to stop.

Here is video of that fail lap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVvSwMm9ZH8&t=

After research in garage turned out that rear shaft wasn't fixed with bolt hard enough and shaved splines. So we repared that and after some weeks were back on track.

And again something wrong with drive train. :wtf Shift leveler kind of said NO! :D Gladly car was pulled to track with trailer and I used it as ramp. Turned out that connecting rod slipped out. So it was easy fix and I was back on track.

Was so happy hat got new scars from speed retarders made of old tyres.

Also got new tyres. Yokohama ADVAN AD08r. I'm using 205/50 R15. Very good tires. As it turned out later not just on dry but wet surface as well. Recommend!

Did some good runs. Look for BMW 315.

Happy feeling!

One training session was in rain. I'm really not a Raikonen. Don't like wet conditions. Either I'm too old or too poor not to worry about smashing my car. :lol:

So results were not so good.

In middle of June had an opportunity to go to FastLap event to Estonia. So finally decided that wheel alignment has to be done. Front wheels definitely were not aligned good. :D
Also did put back original brake booster. And now I had real stopping power! Took me a while to adopt to it. :)

So here are final results.

So I went to Estonia. Weather was perfect. +26C. Sun all around. Got through technical inspection with couple remarks. Did some practice sessions as this was new track for me.
This FastLap event got two different competitions. Either you put best lap or you can even do a head to head challenge like in real race with several other drivers.
As this was my first time I decided just to do best lap.

But after second training session heard some noises under car. I had heard them before. There was a problem with prop shaft bolts that somehow were getting loose. And I new that this had happened again... :stupidme
This was only bot I found on car... So my race day was over.

Later we found problem for those loose bolts. All problem was that we were using rubber joint that had bigger holes then bolts were. And thats how they got loose even we used thread glue. After we matched all parts correctly problem was gone. Also noticed that all bolts had to be put on glue due to greater vibration that car had now.

After some weeks had another session on mini Circuit event. And again I was too close to tyre retarders. This time too close. .. :hammer
Nothing big just body work. Straightened a bit so doesn't rub tyre and continued.

Did some decent lap times.

After crash did some repairs. and put some headlight which actually didn't work. Was too old and damaged to use.

So I found oo00oo and put those. Not sure if I liked this way better. But at least they were working.

From friend of my borrowed M3 e30 rear spoiler. Wanted to know if this aero kit helps.
Some test fitting.

Before next racing session put that on. Also put shorter diff. This time 4.10 ratio.

No masking. No need to do that before you know if it works.

And again transition related problem. And this time it was diff... On first lap...

Just a random pic. Getting ready for next competition.

Took a part in Guinness World record event. But didn't finished.. Ran out of fuel some couple hundred meters before gates that would count my BMW in to record. :stupidme

Finally got on podium. Although in that session I run out of track punctured a tyre and damaged two wheels. Gladly colleges brought me a set of different wheels with tyres.

Video from that lap. I guess oil or coolant was on track and that caused me to go off track. Gladly didn't chrashed into wall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60EShyP6WWU

Btw regarding rear wing. It made huge improvements! I shaved down from my home town race track ~ 5sec!!! :shock: Could go much faster through corners and now my problem was one wheeling with my not so good LSD diff. Lot's of tyre spin even on fast corners.

So next big event was going to Lithuania for FastLap event. This is also a new track for me. Lot's of tales and horror stories are about it. Very beautiful with very bad pavement, blind corners etc..

Here is no standard cars. All either got enormous amount of HP or heavily modified just to do one best lap.

Weather was again beautiful and managed to stay alive. :D

Rear wing was made a bit more "beautiful" :D

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CroyGoUuSiw&t=

Before I write what happened next I wanted to tell you this.
mini Circuit event had 6 practice sessions and 6 races on some other day. I was simply enjoying this event. Simply training. And then some where before 4 event some guy comes to me and congratulates me because I'm currently in first place at my OPEN class. That was a surprise for me. Also I found out what were the rules for competition. :crazy You have to do three best laps and that is your result for race. So on next two mini Circuit events I was trying harder.
On last event if I finish not lower then 7th in my class I would win. And this got serious! :screwy

This is how my car looked afer race. :playcar Again my dear retarded (tyre walls) friends loved me. This time for real!

But I managed to finished 7th!!! :shake

Here will be a video from crash:
https://youtu.be/G01PmrsY1is

Well after couple month I got this:

Season 2016 was over.

Next time I will tell you what I was about to do with car for next season. ;)
-----------------
J.K.jr.bad.
jimbob
E21 Pro

Post by jimbob »

Well done.
What a great story of your adventures with your E21 :launch
E21 323i [kashmere] Off the road pending restoration
E21 3231[Graphite metalic] Restoration and conversion to M52
E36 318i Had it nearly 10 years work in progress
E36 328i Daily driver
E39 520i Family car school run workhorse
E36 328i Touring
J.K.jr.bad.
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by J.K.jr.bad. »

Good day to you all!

So what's next? Next is upgrade time! It is obvious that if everything works good you for sure want to make it work better (not always a truth :D )

So let's take a drive into a garage to make some changes till next 2017 season.

So in my upgrade list there are these things:
* Put rear axle from e28 (actually from e34 or e30 it would fit as well) to have an opportunity to put bigger case diff.
* Due to this axle upgrade put 5 stud hubs + upgrade to bigger brakes. "Small" enough to be able to put 16" rims.
* Update saloon heating system with more powerful fan.
* Make intake box to get more cold air from outside engine bay.

That's it. But as upgrades were done some more upgrades or I'd rather say changes were necessary. Like:
* Due to new rear axle there was no room for OEM fuel tank anymore.
* For the same reason exhaust had to be relocated.
* Finally found power OEM steering rack and the rest of bits. But not sure yet if this or rack from e46 goes on as it is quite quicker.

So let's begin!

OEM axle is down and let's start to try to understand what is necessary to put e28.

Subframe "Ears" cut off and ones from e21 will be welded.

Test fitting. Subframe has to go more upwards and that means that OEM fuel tank got to be removed.

This is how it should be.

Meanwhile hubs from e23 were sourced out. Somebody said that they will fit.

Well kind of fits but different bearings have to be used.

Regarding rear diff first I got 210mm diff together with that e28 axle. Searched for shortest gearing 3.90. Found e32 535 automatic which got such. But when bought it turned out it to be 188mm version. :lol: So I had to search for different diff case. Meanwhile I also found shortest of possible gearing (210mm) for it - 3.90 out from e34 M5. So in the end decided to use 188mm diff with Quaife as I had it from e90. As diff cover thought that two ear e36 version would be best choice.
Regarding Quaife a small adjustment had to be made. As you can see in picture that e90 one got ~5mm higher ring seating.

So those 5mm were trimmed off and special tool were made to keep everything flat.

New bearings, zinc plated hubs and painted diff. All was put together and filled with Miller oil 75w140 oil. Two liters went in.

Rear axle as well was painted/zincked, fitted with with new bearing and seals. Custom bracket for diff was made.

Strongflex 90sHa bushes were used.

Rear brakes from e34. Equipped with Carbon Loraine brake pads

For front wanted something special. Racing calipers. Why? Because of this:
As you see that even after one racing season rubber seals simply burn due to high heat. Racing calipers don't have these outer dust seals so there is nothing to burn.

Wanted to use ~ 300+ mm brake discs so these 6pot were chosen.

Here you can see pistons without dust seals.

It took a while to make correct brackets. as everything got to be withing 0.5mm tolerance there were 3 or 4 versions or corrections.

Here everything fitted.
As brake discs were used 324mm ones from e39/e38. They were trimmed to 320mm as I suspected wheel fitting problem.

As now rear axle was exactly 50mm wider and I didn't want to use any spacers I searched for such offset wheels that will line out every thing. So for rear I had to get ET47 and for front ET20. Both of these are not very common sizes. ET47 could be found on some e46, but ET20 with correct center hub diameter only on e60. Have you seen e60 on steel wheels? Not in real life! BTW steel wheels at the moment is my only option. As material to make steel wheels is lot thinner that is the only way to clear front calipers. Well I didn't find for e60 but somehow turned out that there is ET20 steel wheels for e39. So I got those.

Rear coilover bottom mounts as well had to be changed due to fitting position. Had a bit trouble with those but it was solved.

Fitted!

Next time a bit more about upgrades!
-----------------
J.K.jr.bad.
uwbuurman
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): 1978 type 1 323i 5speed dogleg Polaris

Post by uwbuurman »

Wow!!! Great stuff!!
It's the man next door!

1978 BMW 323i
1980 BMW 528i maior restitutio
1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet
2006 BMW 320d touring High Executive
2015 BMW 320dA touring xDrive High Executive ///Msport
JuhKu
Newbee

Post by JuhKu »

This is very interesting project as well as many other E21 projects in this forum!
Any news coming whats the situation now?