316 - 1977 - petroscf - Greece

petroscf
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): '77 EU 316 (2.0 - manual/dogleg - lsd)

Re: 316 - 1977 - petroscf - Greece

Post by petroscf »

Hahaha of course not - especially me (as you probably already know I am just a poor architect, I know a bit about designing buildings etc but not about designing steering rack, definitely)
I was just wondering if the racks that do not have the damper as a feature from factory, are just a cheaper option where a damper could be added later (not by changing anything on the rack-only to a ready place waiting for that extra part-exactly in the same way that my dash did not have the cables and plaquettes for some of the dash lights but it was ready to fit, so I just ordered the part and fitted it)

/oo=00=oo\
E21 Forever
petroscf
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by petroscf »

I have a question. Someone with experience in M10 engines I guess might help here:

Car does not pass emissions (MOT).

Of course I am talking about limits for cars of its era, which are much higher than today. So this means that my engine's emissions are even higher.
Another possibly useful info here is that HC emissions (at idle) are mainly the most problematic number afaik.
Which makes some sense all right, because of hotter cam. Afaik my engine's cam is the 300° from BMW (unless the mechanic lied to me and installed something hotter hahah).

So my question is:

Passing emissions test for an engine like that is just a matter of fine tuning the carbs ? (twin weber 45mm side drafts, and, by the way, I have a suspicion that the mechanic who tunes the carbs loves tuning them a bit rich in order to protect the engine from going lean)
Is it normal not to be able to pass (for example, because maybe this engine is somewhat semi racing, so not normal emissions even for the era) or could it be tuned in order to pass the emissions? Weren't there, back then, cars with 300° cams circulating as normal cars in civil roads?
/oo=00=oo\
E21 Forever
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

A high HC level is caused by unburnt fuel. In general, likely causes are:
1. ignition issues (timing, failures)
2. incorrect ignition or carburettor adjustment
3. vacuum leaks causing the intake to draw excess air
4. compression issues

The search is on I guess...
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
petroscf
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by petroscf »

Well, this one (engine) runs nice and smooth, I don't have ANY other issues so far, at least nothing noticeable
Unburnt fuel isn't the cause of hot cams? I mean at idle especially because for some time fraction both inlet and exhaust valves are open afaik, no?
/oo=00=oo\
E21 Forever
petroscf
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by petroscf »

Jeroen wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:30 am A high HC level is caused by unburnt fuel. In general, likely causes are:
1. ignition issues (timing, failures)
2. incorrect ignition or carburettor adjustment
3. vacuum leaks causing the intake to draw excess air
4. compression issues

The search is on I guess...
So before taking any decision to still keep searching (and trying to play with the carbs and timing settings etc) the question remains: is it ONLY a matter of one or more of the 4 causes above? Or could it be that an engine of similar specs CAN'T do much better, because its settings have to be a bit racing-tuned (i.e. rich mixtures etc) otherwise it wouldn't be safe for the engine?
For instance, I see in the web some tuner of M10s and M20s -from US I think? Korman iirc -giving various tuning stages for M10s, mentioning, for engines over 160 hp that these aren't for road, but only for racetrack.
So I was wondering whether for a M10 to be around or a bit over 160hp (Not dyno'ed but I guess my engine might be somewhere around there) emissions would be rather high ...

If you believe that NO, and that normally a hot cam (etc "racing" engine specs) should NOT be a problem for emissions, then yes, I should be starting again a bit of searching into it...
/oo=00=oo\
E21 Forever
Wilmo
E21 Mad

Post by Wilmo »

Yes, camshaft with high duration is likely to be the thing when you are sure the rest is alright. Problem with carbs is that there is just one point in the complete RPM range where they properly work. So in order to pass you need two tunes. One to pass and one to have many horsepower with. Just turn the CO screw as far in as it will idle somewhat and if that is still not enough, put your idle RPM on 1500 or so. As soon as you have your papers, put the screws back where they were.

In the Netherlands we have different demands for CO and HC for different ages. None of the Dutch E21's, not even mine with EFI, would pass MOT with a running engine with the modern limit.

So, show us your numbers. What is your CO, HF, lamda, AFR or whatever numbers you have.
petroscf
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by petroscf »

Wilmo wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:03 pm Yes, camshaft with high duration is likely to be the thing when you are sure the rest is alright. Problem with carbs is that there is just one point in the complete RPM range where they properly work. So in order to pass you need two tunes. One to pass and one to have many horsepower with. Just turn the CO screw as far in as it will idle somewhat and if that is still not enough, put your idle RPM on 1500 or so. As soon as you have your papers, put the screws back where they were.

In the Netherlands we have different demands for CO and HC for different ages. None of the Dutch E21's, not even mine with EFI, would pass MOT with a running engine with the modern limit.

So, show us your numbers. What is your CO, HF, lamda, AFR or whatever numbers you have.
Well yes I also know about the double tuning thing :innocent
About the Dutch limits, what do you mean by "modern" limit? Of course no E21 would pass from the modern limit I guess, unless one has swapped in a modern engine, catalyst etc., no?
But it seems that my M10 can't pass the limits defined for cars of its age :-(
It is a nice idea to show my numbers, I will do provided I remember to take a picture during next emissions counting procedure
/oo=00=oo\
E21 Forever
petroscf
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by petroscf »

Second week @ the mechanic's again and I miss the car already:

Works expected to be done this time:

-Service including valves setting (it's been more than a year since last one) and weber adjustment, plus a couple of other little things here and there (for example replacement of right front direction indicator, the plastic base of which is broken and it hardly holds on to its screw)

But the two important ones are the following steps backwards:

-Replacement of the rear ARB with my old one of 16mm : Until I decide to replace the whole front subframe in order for the 25mm face lift ARB to fit, I guess it is better and safer to stick with the old set up (front is 22mm and rear will again now be 16mm)

-Replacement of differential : Another step backwards here, and I guess I have to admit my mistake in previous posts regarding this issue. So I am going back to 3,64:1 (11-40) instead of 3,45:1 (11-38) which I have now. Even though car has a dog leg gearbox with a 1:1 5th, and despite the tuned up M10, I understand that, its torque, at least at high speeds, is less than what is needed for the combination of bad aerodynamics and a long ratio (as is 3,45).
/oo=00=oo\
E21 Forever
petroscf
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by petroscf »

Took the car yesterday from the mechanic

Diff was not replaced yet, as we decided to leave it for some more time. Mechanic toyed with advance and webers set up and changed a lot of things and the car now is a bit better than before: Not any magic +30 hp, but a bit more smooth and uniform everywhere and -maybe-an idea of more torque (this is the first idea, not had yet the time to drive in a combination of roads, but only in traffic, and in motorway but just for about 5 minutes)

The same (not enough time to drive the car) applies regarding the rear ARB, however, these 5 minute in the motorway seemed enough to guess I'll be enjoying a more comfy ride and a more "one piece" car in fast turns

Now what is actually needed is a day off !

Another work not done (but this one has to be done asap), is a good alignment. Mechanic said that he could not do this to the front (he did it for the rear) because one front wishbone had the ball joint in bad condition so the car front couldn't be aligned. So now I am looking for 2 front new wishbones. If there are any ideas where I can find them in a better price than W&N (127 euros each) it would be much appreciated.
These wishbones iirc are from Eurometric, they came with the poly bushes inside.
Model is 1977 so the wishbones have to be the early model, before 10/1978.
Car drives and feels very well on the road, (with only a very slight pulling left of the car) but I guess I 'd better not leave this.
/oo=00=oo\
E21 Forever
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Small steps, but better than nothing! The early wishbones appear to be getting rare, none at my usual suppliers.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
petroscf
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by petroscf »

I know this question may be silly :
By the VIN number of my car do I also get the interior original colours as well? And how?
/oo=00=oo\
E21 Forever
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

As far as I know BMW deleted this info a couple of years ago, you won't even get it on a BMW Classic Certificate anymore. If you are lucky, you will find the original paper production tag at the bottom of your rear seat to give you the details.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
petroscf
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by petroscf »

I think I need to replace my rear quarter (operable) windows rubber sealings. I ordered from W&N and replaced the main one (both sides) but there are more all around: Each side there is one vertical (where the window hinges are-which is available at W&N) but there is also a horizontal one, that is placed on the down horizontal chrome part of the window, and seals actually between two chromes when the window is closed. This one they (W&N) seem to have at the moment only for late (after 1981) models. And mine is almost shot.
Anyone knows where else could I look for such parts?
/oo=00=oo\
E21 Forever
petroscf
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by petroscf »

I guess nobody has a clue on these rubber parts... :cry:

Anyway, I have another question: I read somewhere about "upgraded doorbrakes" ? I read this exactly, so I am not sure what is it about, I guess they mean upgraded door stops though?
Are there such parts? Does anyone know?
/oo=00=oo\
E21 Forever
Manitoba
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): '80 323i, 5-speed manual Kastanien rot

Post by Manitoba »

For sure I can't help you, as mine doesn't have rear pop out windows....

So this reply doesn't help you either but hopefully it makes you feel "heard" :wink

Greetz,
Walter.