Baur rebuildathon - ON THE ROAD

drjim
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Baur rebuildathon - ON THE ROAD

Post by drjim »

Chaps

My Baur projecy has been festering for too long, action must be taken.

Murran has kindly agreed to come over and help me get it back into something resembling car format instead of a shell plus pile of parts. We will be at my workshop on Sunday, I am hoping that he can do the fiddly bits like brake pipes while I bolt suspension type stuff back together, we can then stick the car largely back together, hopefully assemble engine/box/subframe and drop the shell onto it with the help of the 2 poster in the unit.

I'll probably be bringing the slug (which is going to need a new clutch as the release bearing is grumbling away), Jacko will hopefully drop by with his rather shiny 323i.

If any other North West UK members (or anyone else!) wants to drop in, PM me for details. For those of you who came to the workshop before, we have now moved but are just around the corner.

I suspect there will be some sort of barbie for food, couple of beers at the end of the day possible.

Parts still outstanding and wanted are a radiator, 323i downpipes/exhaust (although I can probably weld one together from the stuff Rob left me last time he visited) and handbrake cables - feel free to bring parts with you!

PM or phone me if you want to come along and play!

Jim
Last edited by drjim on Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:44 am, edited 5 times in total.

1983 316 Pustergrun - track sluG!
1982 Saphirblau Baur 325i

Cars all gone!
Jacko
E21 Fanatic

Post by Jacko »

BBQ for sure - chicken fillets for me as i'm on a diet!

I'll be around all weekend so if anyone wants to stop over then bring some bedding and you can crash at mine.

I need some money so bring some with you and i'll try and sell you something...hahahahaha Whos got an E28 and needs parts?
1986 E28 M535i - Car stripped to shell ready to be blasted
1981 E21 323i - 2.8 24v on throttle bodies & cams - 3.0 conversion soon.

[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/Arnold_the_swimmer/My%20M535i/IMG_0447sig-1.jpg[/img]
nas80
E21 Mad

Post by nas80 »

if there is food can i come please? :lol:

ive got nothing better to do and im keen. i have a stock 323i radiator i dunno if its any good? i'll fill it and see if it will hold its water.

i had an exhaust but thats sold.

it'll be a good first outing for me in the car after having it parked up all winter as well.
Jacko
E21 Fanatic

Post by Jacko »

Good stuff :D See you Sunday

[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/Arnold_the_swimmer/My%20M535i/IMG_0447sig-1.jpg[/img]
murran
E21 Pro

Post by murran »

cant wait something tells me this will be a laugh!

what time anyhoo? want to be early.... setting off 7ish ideally? could you put up or pm me the postcode?
if theres beer involved i really wouldnt mind staying over somewhere?

jacko, id buy gearbox bearings from you if youve got some? n/s/r lamp lens that isnt broken? :lol:

i have a 320/6 rad but it definatly leaks!
Jeroen wrote:Bmwe21.net, for all your insurance solutions :P
murran
E21 Pro

Post by murran »

someone pm gonzo make sure hes seen this?
Jeroen wrote:Bmwe21.net, for all your insurance solutions :P
Pho21_girl
E21 Pro

Post by Pho21_girl »

Aww, why does it have to be up north? Lol not that i'd be any help, but would be happy to sit and drink in the sun...and erm...hold spanners? :wink:
have a good time guys, make sure someone is designated the photographer to document all the work...
Hannah x
www.hannahdollimore.co.uk
Jacko
E21 Fanatic

Post by Jacko »

I'm too heavy to hold anyway... :lol:

If you wanna come get some fuel in the E21 and take it for its last run before the new owner hands over the monies.

Anyone welcome to crash at mine btw.

Come on northerners get a wriggle on and head over – 1st E21 meet of the season and you’ve no excuse if you’re local.

Not sure of the postcode in all honesty but the old place is WA14 4ED so that should give you an idea of where you're going and the doc can give you the proper one as and when. I'll be at the unit tomorrow again so i'll ask the boss if he's around.

dannyboy
E21 Fanatic

Post by dannyboy »

would love to , But overtime this weekend....sad i know but it all goes towards the cause... :)
have good time guys... 8)
e21 335i gone but not to far.
e21 316.. still
ford puma..(wifes honestly)
e21-Mark
E21 Master
My E21(s): 316 m52/2.8 Cat Cams & Jenvey ITB
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JackyardBackoff

Post by e21-Mark »

Would have taken a run up myself but got Duxford on sunday.
drjim
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by drjim »

Looks like the Baur rebuild is going to work - we have enough people for a front end and a rear end team.

Nas a standard 323i rad is exactly what I need.

Address is

Unit K
Lyon Industrial estate
Atlantic street
Altrincham
WA14 5EF

Jim

Cars all gone!
drjim
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by drjim »

OK guys I have had a couple of hours at the unit today. Pushed the car outside on its pallets and pressure washed the engine bay/undersides. Stood staring at the arch repairs and wings that need taking off, pondered the stained bits of the engine bay, washed it all again and pondered some more.

I think the plan is changing slightly. Anyone who has an angle grinder with a wire brush on it is welcome to bring it this weekend.

I had left the old brake lines on so I’d know how to replace them, that is now not necessary. Various other bits are also still not quite ready, there’s bits of rust next to/on the brakeline brackets in the front arches for instance.

So plan is...

Remove wings and as many engine bay bits as possible, clean all the rusty/dirty bits off the engine bay, in the wheel arches etc then rust treatment, etch primer and a rattle can of saphirblau to the engine bay. I have some clear wax stuff that can spray onto the engine bay as well.

Reassemble subframes/struts, get engine/box looked at properly and decide whether to do belt/pump or just stick it in. Also see if I have all the motoronic bits I need and assess feasibility of going straight to motoronic. Job for Murran there.

Brake lines can be made once the engine bay is tidied. If we get that far I will be very happy.

I have ordered the body panels I need, which came to £120 plus VAT and will hopefully be in tomorrow morning. If I can get to the unit on Saturday I will try to sort the welding on the arches, so that we can stick the rear subframe on without me worrying about doing the welding later.

The thing I may be in need of is nuts/bolts. I have two boxes full of fasteners removed from this car and the slug so should have most things that we need, definite exception is the big nuts that go on the rear subframe mounting – for some reason I lost the ones off the slug so robbed the ones off the Baur to build that plus I don’t have propshaft guibo bolts. So if anyone has that sort of stuff please bring it!

Cars all gone!
Jacko
E21 Fanatic

Post by Jacko »

We can always raid my tins of BM bolts; not sure if the axle carrier uses the same ones but they can't be too different and i also have prop bolts.

Why not get an order placed with bmminiparts for next day for the bits you need?

I've got a knotted wheel / angle grinder etc, and i've also got loads of cutting disks, etch primer etc.

I'm sure we'll have everything needed. :)

Jacko
E21 Fanatic

Post by Jacko »

Forgot to say - Murran can you bring a shit load of brake pipe fittings please? I need all sorts for fitting my pedal box and don't mind paying if you can get them from work at a good rate? I've been looking for packs of them on ebay but can't find any.

nas80
E21 Mad

Post by nas80 »

ok ill be bringing

angle grinder.
selection of tools
a full exhaust :wink:
a radiator

ill dig around for the rear beam mounts but i think i have only one lol.

have you got a welder there jim? i need to sort out my rear beam it needs a few camber plates welding on.

kudos to BarronP - he said its cool if you needed that exhaust.

I have a 323i engine as well if we need one of those? :lol: