Baur rebuildathon - ON THE ROAD

drjim
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Re: Baur rebuildathon - ON THE ROAD

Post by drjim »

How do you adjust the front height of the bonnet? I think I know how to adjust the rear, but it's the front that's most wrong.

1983 316 Pustergrun - track sluG!
1982 Saphirblau Baur 325i

Cars all gone!
Reck
E21 Pro
My E21(s): 83 316, 1.8 M10, RHD

Post by Reck »

Congrats! Awesome work. :)
gerrit323
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): '82 e21 323i hartge

Post by gerrit323 »

Nice to see another one roadworthy again .. enjoy :!:
1992 Mazda mx5
1994 e36 m3
2015 Renault Mégane RS 275 trophy
2019 Abarth esseesse
2020 caterham 310R
2021 ford custom sportvan

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thielema ... 1227513195
drjim
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by drjim »

Spare wheels left at National tyres for a set of Avon tyres fitting (guy offered Barum at first, but for an extra fiver a wheel I'd rather have a brand I've heard of!). Sadly the trackday used tyres on the car at the moment have one unevenly horribly worn, one which is not sealing against rim following the spinny stones in rim incident, one with cut in sidewall - so basically the whole set is goosed. New tyres going on the ex Arshad/Jeroen BBS-alikes, and MIMS can be re-tyred for the next trackday.

Stereo installed, microphone cable run up around windscreen rubber, speakers in but unable to fit the grille on the passenger side as the edge of the glovebox will foul it - need to unfasten the glovebox and cut back the edge so the speaker grille will fit, far more important than the edge of the glovebox!

Also put some countersunk head screws in to hold the front targa panel seal strip in, the ones I had when I put it together had raised heads, and the roof wouldn't quite shut properly.

Tomorrow it'll be going to the tyre shop to have the new wheels/tyres put on (driving on 3 MIMS and a steelie spare today), plus get wheel alignment done.

Murran asked about niggles - I definitely have one. Sometimes when I press the brake pedal it's very light and the brakes aren't there, pump pedal once and they work fine. I suspect this is a knackered Master cylinder, I have a spare off the slug, but might be best to just get a new one if it is at fault - I like brakes that work properly! Also behaves in an interesting way when I floor it from the lights, strange sideways lurch when I lift off, but I suspect that's the mismatched and wrong pressured tyres - will report back tomorrow!

Cars all gone!
e21-Mark
E21 Master
My E21(s): 316 m52/2.8 Cat Cams & Jenvey ITB
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JackyardBackoff

Post by e21-Mark »

New master cylinder on eBay Jim at £129 iirc
arshad76
E21 Pro
My E21(s): Considering another E21

Post by arshad76 »

Maybe I just need to get used to the Mahle's on my car, but the MSW's looked nicer IMHO! I liked them over other MSWs I've seen, because of the plain silver faces, polished rims and BMW badges.

Ah well gone to a good home and want to see them with the new tyres on. Oh and first refusal if you do get bored at some later date, until I get a bigger house like yours and/or a dedicated workshop!
UK Moderator
drjim
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by drjim »

Tyres on, tracking done - all fine.

Good test drive this evening, drove to the Man City V Swansea match, parked in a field (40 minutes to get out after the match!) and drove home in poring rain.

Positive - no leaks, breaks traction in first three gears if you try.

Negative - made a clunk when I hit a pothole, and after that the near side rear tyre rubbed the arch on acceleration or bumps. Either the cut down springs can't cope with a large adult passenger (plus large driver!), or one is broken. Also the brake pedal is very variable so a new M/C as well as springs may be in order.

Cars all gone!
mr edd
E21 Fanatic

Post by mr edd »

jim ...The bonnet lock behind the front grill is mounted on slotted holes so the front edge of the bonnet can be adjusted .Also the rubber stoppers at the front corners of the bonnet should be adjustable to keep both corners the same height...edd..
e21 320 (12/1975) 320i/4 (3/77)running gear.
e36 318is coupe (1996)
e21 316 (1981)
drjim
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by drjim »

Thanks for that Edd, 5 mins with the spanner out of the toolkit and it's looking a lot better already.

Drove to tescos to do some shopping, brakes are really strange - first press of pedal nothing, pump it once and release then it works fine. Sometimes it just works fine but you never know what you are going to get. Found the booster/MC assembly off the slug so will swap that onto it on Monday.

Tyre rubbing issue - realised the old Toyo's were 195/45/15 - got them off Gonzo years ago - new Avons are 195/50/15 and have a squarer edge than the toyo's which have hardly any tread left and have been thrashed on several trackdays since new so are not the original shape around the outer edge of the tread :D On further inspection it is the edge of the arch that's rubbing, and it did it with a case of beer in the boot and my 3 year old daughter in the passenger seat, so I need to roll the arches if the new stiffer springs don't resolve the problem.

So at the moment the car is effectively off the road again as I don't want to ruin a brand new tyre. Waiting for the springs to arrive.

Cars all gone!
arshad76
E21 Pro
My E21(s): Considering another E21

Post by arshad76 »

Place in Wigan can do the rolling, they did all four for about £60
UK Moderator
drjim
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by drjim »

Well chaps I fitted the new gear linkage bits today, Murran did the brakes and springs last SUnday. Brakes are consistent every time now, and the tyres don't rub on acceleration. Feels very floaty above 70mph, but I suspect that's normal. Just need to get the paint polished/touched up now, then it's upgrade time!

Roof off today for the amazing sunshine, 80's rock on the stereo, brilliant!

Cars all gone!
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

Yeah great! What a weather to enjoy a Baur, too!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
e21-Mark
E21 Master

Post by e21-Mark »

I used to love my old Baur on a hot & sunny day.
drjim
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by drjim »

I had rock radio or as it is now called Real XS on the stereo. They played whitesnake, clapton, bon jovi and acdc while I was driving around for the first time after fixing the linkage. Hot sunshine and proper 80's tunes is what I always imagined it was about. Baur convertibles are the way forward chaps!

Every time I drive one of my old Beemers I ponder what the first owner did with it, I bet whoever owned my Baur from new had the roof down in the sunshine, so the choice of tunes is just icing on cake!

I'll be driving it all weekend, back to the focus next week. Shaun the paint man will do the paint stuff the week after next, all ready for winter hibernation.

Cars all gone!
e21-Mark
E21 Master

Post by e21-Mark »

A few more pics please Jim?

I'd still like a full cab e21 one day.