'79 323i

kasehowell
Newbee
My E21(s): '79 323i. 4 spd.
DOT certified 3/85.

'79 323i

Post by kasehowell »

Any info on testing the operational status of my cooling fan? The fan will turn manually, so the bearing is not frozen up.
However the fan doesn't operate at temp. Temp gauge and heater operate. Is there a test for the relay at the thermo housing? Does a total system flush with the engine plug out recommended? How to test fan operation?

Should I go to aftermarket Flex-a-lite fan with manual switch?

Also, it's time to replace the 1mm(?) high pressure shiny plastic fuel line from the fuel distributor, How to locate one here in the US.

Thanks all!

KCH Orygun USA

kasehowell
Newbee
My E21(s): '79 323i. 4 spd.
DOT certified 3/85.

Re: '79 323i

Post by kasehowell »

It's OK. I figured it out. 3 shops couldn't, but they kept throwing parts at it.. It was an intermittent problem sometimes fan worked, sometimes it would overheat when stopped.
So 1 day I'm sitting on the ground working on the front grill and lights... I looked up and saw this cracked white ceramic (ballast resistor) attached to the fan shroud, wires coming from each end.

An "aha" moment!
So I ordered a new one, less than $30 and easy install. But all that cycling hot and not made the plastic radiator housing so brittle, I had to replace it. That was considerably more than $30.

So at age 43, the little B23 has it's entire cooling system replaced, I learned a lot, and it's still stock.
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Re: '79 323i

Post by Jeroen »

Guess I overlooked this back in 2021 haha, sorry for not adding my 2 cents, glad its solved mate!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen