Pinto-Turbo powered Greek E21

Gozilla
Newbee

Pinto-Turbo powered Greek E21

Post by Gozilla »

Look at the links below: the beemer had that look on the first test drive at a local karting circuit. It sucks but it will be soon improved.
The E21 has a 2,0L Pinto EFI with a custom turbo conversion and a Sierra standard 5speed box. It has a custom, Group A type roll cage, Sparco Junior Sprint seats, Sabelt belts, Sparco fire extinguisher system (last three parts homologated), OBA steering wheel, custom electricals and totaly stripped.
Brakes 320/323i standard discs front, rear drums
318 standard differential (can't recall other specs) (need LSD!!!!!!!!!!!!)
KYB Shocks/unknow lowering springs (3cm front/2,5cm rear, lower from stock) (KYBs suck, will try for KONI adjustables)
15" wheels ET13 front, ET25 rear with 15mm spacers (maybe this caused heavy understeer in the track) in order to change rear wheels/tyres easily (et13-et20 wheels are rare in greece and et25 can be found real easily)
It has power mirrors and power windows (not easy to adjust mirrors or open windows when seated in the bucket)

http://www.tarmac.gr/portal/album_showp ... pic_id=162

http://www.tarmac.gr/portal/album_showp ... pic_id=165

The pics are from an event by TARMAC club, an automotive club of Greece, www.tarmac.gr

ps Don't shoot me about the weird engine transplant, the pinto was available at no charge so "low budget track day car" target could be achieved. we'll get a M20 wich is reasonably priced here in Greece if/when the pinto blows up sometime

Beemer + Pinto = Strange Love
Gozilla
Newbee

Post by Gozilla »

Got a M20B27 block with a little damage on cylinder 1. Maybe the Beemer will have a Beemer engine in it, eventually!
RR
E21 starter

Post by RR »

Why dont you sell the Pinto to some Fordphile while it still runs, it will be worth more running and will fund a proper engine for the E21.

I once had a Mk2 Cortina with a Pinto and it was like putting boat anchor over the front end, they weigh a ton for a four cylinder engine (not far off a Ford Windsor V8 in fact).
tommi_e21
E21 Mad

Post by tommi_e21 »

is this thing still alive
ac/dennis
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by ac/dennis »

Dont wake himup Austin :)
tommi_e21
E21 Mad

Post by tommi_e21 »

but i wanna see a ford powered bmw, gotta be worth a luagh
Gozilla
Newbee

Re: Pinto-Turbo powered Greek E21

Post by Gozilla »

The topic should be changed. The Pinto was blown up during a high speed session at a local track day. It was very impressive with all that smoke :P
Anyway, the car is still alive and kicking thanks to a M10 fuel injected engine, kind donation from a mate who wrote off his E28. Also the car now has semi slicks and Bilstein rallye shocks. With this setup it has taken part in track days during 2010 and 2011. Since then it is sitting in my garage, next to my Manta. Hope I will have money and time to complete suspension mods, I want to shift to coilovers and probably install extra anti roll bars. However, with the typical setup of Bilstein rallye shocks and Alpina springs, and with almost stock 1.8i engine, the car laps Megara Athens circuit at 1:21 high, which is quite impressive considering the car has maximum 105PS.
And for tommi_e21 with love: there was no laugh at the ford powered bmw, the power was so brutal that when the car stopped spinning its rear wheels (and it took at a long :P ) it was pulling like crazy to the direction the nose was pointing! Driveability? I don't know this word! The situation was very scary for the driver...
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Re: Pinto-Turbo powered Greek E21

Post by Jeroen »

We want photos and video's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :takepicture
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
E21meister
E21 Pro

Re:

Post by E21meister »

Gozilla wrote:Maybe the Beemer will have a Beemer engine in it, eventually!
The M20 is basically a six-cylinder Pinto lump anyway; by that I don't mean they're the same engine, but the design is similar in some respects.