Post by nas80 »

maybe something has fallen off.

[img]http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/nasbucket/forumsig.jpg[/img]
Duracel79
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Re: Eddie's E21 316

Post by Duracel79 »

Hopefully the bang was just running over something ??

Most BMW gearbox's i've owned do weep a bit of oil, so I wouldn't get fixated on that before checking simpler things first.

Propshaft vibrations, as others have mentioned, the centre bearings do fail over time and could cause your symptoms.
When changing the centre bearing I'd advise fitting a new genuine Guibo (rubber donut) at the same time. Cheaper parts can have a very short lifespan.

I have also seen play in the propshaft UJ's. These can be replaced but would need the proshaft to be re-balanced afterwards.

HTH

Ben
1982 323i (S54 "Test Mule" - to be rebuilt into M20 powered track car)
1983 316 (Taiga Thunder - The refined S54 Race car)
1982 635csiA (New project)
1985 728iA (For Sale)
2004 330d Touring (The Daily Hack / Tow Car / Load lugger)
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

Don't get cheap guibo shyte like from WN, bound to cause vibrations and leaks (mine distorted so much under strain it started to hit the shifter and ruined that seal as well)
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Eddie.
E21 Fanatic
My E21(s): [O==[][]==O]

Post by Eddie. »

So I figured out what the bang was the other day, one of the nuts came off the bolt that holds the prop onto the gearbox. The bolt then wriggled its way out and departed at whatever revs I was doing. Understandably, it made a fair old racket!

Can be seen missing here:

So with that sorted, I gave it a wash along with my mates E36 M3, and got prepared for Didsbury car show which was this Sunday just gone.

Sunday morning came around, and on the way there I noticed my wipers slowed down and eventually stopped, the horn didn't work either... then it died. Presumed alternator failure, but after being towed home and we had a look at it, it's looking more likely to be a weak earth.

I went to the show anyway, just without the car. I did see an old BMW bike there, in Topazbraun too!

So a disappointing weekend I guess, but these things happen.

I did get a couple of decent shots on the 50mm from when I went out the other night though:

nas80
E21 Mad

Post by nas80 »

isnt your car on coilovers? how come your running at such a tall ride height?

you learnt a lesson for not going over and checking your bolts and nuts are tight didn't you :)
[img]http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/nasbucket/forumsig.jpg[/img]
Eddie.
E21 Fanatic

Post by Eddie. »

It's on coilovers yes, but I don't want it to be undriveable. I love the height as it is now, and it'll look a whole load better when the spacers are fitted.
Mihajlo
E21 Pro
My E21(s): 1982 315swap323i

Post by Mihajlo »

I think every E21 must have rear end adjusters (eccentric bolts on trailing arms)

with them, car is lot easier to drive when lowered and tyre wear is something you don't have to worry about anymore.
and looking from behind, it don't looks like it has been raped and/or molested.... :mrgreen:
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Eddie.
E21 Fanatic

Post by Eddie. »

I used to love the "stanced" look but it's the smashing of sumps and scraping of exhausts I can't be dealings with. I want to be able drive it without worrying about "is that dip too much?" Or "will I crack my sump going over this crest".

E21's look amazing when low, but it's just not for me as an overall ownership.
si.
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by si. »

I was concerned about exactly the same thing with mine but i have a -60mm spax kit on mine with m20b25 although i am running 16's but even with 15's on ive never hit anything while driving at any speed and baring in mind that i drove around europe with a car full of camping gear etc im happy that it wont scrape anything

The only time it has scraped is on a couple of big speed bumps at very slow speed but well ....... :launch
1989 325i touring - eventual track car project - maybe for sale
1973 2002 - joint resto with a mate
1982 316 - m20b25 shitty on the outside shiney on the inside
2005 330i - Clubsport individual
Eddie.
E21 Fanatic

Post by Eddie. »

It's been a good while since I have updated this, so here is what has gone on in the last month or so.

The chrome on the rear bumper was a mess and I wanted to tidy it up a little. A friend told me about a trick that utilizes Diet Coke (Diet to prevent stickiness from the sugar) and alluminium foil.

Essentially you pour the Coke on and gently rub down the chrome with some scrunched up foil. The results are fantastic.

Before:

After:

Of course the rust will come back, but I've sealed it with some FK1000p wax for now, so it should keep it looking fresh for a little while.

I also took the car to Blink motorsport for a full alignment. Very happy with them, they've transformed the car from a very nervous feeling thing, to something that feels very capable and really quite sharp.

The rear settings can't be changed as I don't have a slotted rear end yet, so that camber is a result of the lowering and nothing else.

Couldn't recommend them enough.

I then took it down to Worcester for the Retro Rides Gathering 2014.

It was fantastic on the way down, sits very well at 70mph, and pulls really nicely. Then once off the M5, the country roads across to our hotel were sublime, turn in feels good, even on the crap tyres, and it has great traction. It's also really rather nippy, even with a modest 170bhp (ish), the lack of weight and driving assists certainly makes driving it a real event.

Unfortunately the following morning saw me written out of the show:

After brimming the tank, I noticed a pretty serious fuel leak. The culprit was the fuel sender unit, which should have a seal on it but doesn't. A simple fix and a new one is on order, but the damage was done, fuel all around the exhaust and fumes in the cabin made it far too much of a risk to drive, so I called my breakdown cover and they loaded it up and took it back to Manchester for me. Fortunately I was still able to go to the show, as the driver agreed to take the vehicle home for me without me going with him.

So it now sits outside venting off the last of the fumes, I'm hoping to have it all sorted and back on the road by the weekend.
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

The work on the bumper :shock :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Pity about the fuel leak but better discover it this way, at least you made it to the RRG!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
TopCat
E21 Pro
My E21(s): 1980 Alpina B6 2.8
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/timothy.c.boles

Post by TopCat »

Jeroen wrote:The work on the bumper :shock :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
Completely agree- I am going to give this new trick a go!
Regards
Topcat
Isle of Man Inverness
1980 BMW E21 Alpina B6 2.8
1991 BMW E30 Hartge H26
uwbuurman
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): 1978 type 1 323i 5speed dogleg Polaris

Post by uwbuurman »

Yep, me to! great idea!!
It's the man next door!

1978 BMW 323i
1980 BMW 528i maior restitutio
1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet
2006 BMW 320d touring High Executive
2015 BMW 320dA touring xDrive High Executive ///Msport
Eddie.
E21 Fanatic

Post by Eddie. »

So today I made a start on the headlining, the material is charcoal grey, brushed nylon & foam backed. It's lovely to work with.

The pictures are awful as the colour isn't easy to capture in sunglight conditions, but you get the idea. It's not 100% perfect, but it's pretty good for my first attempt IMO.

I tired to keep the use of glue to a minimum, which I believe is the standard practice for the OEM headliner, so it's tucked into the door and window seals as per OEM.

e21-Mark
E21 Master
My E21(s): 316 m52/2.8 Cat Cams & Jenvey ITB
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JackyardBackoff

Post by e21-Mark »

Was the original one damaged?