What to do with my Baur?

Bigmeat
Upcoming E21 fanatic
My E21(s): '79 E21 Baur 1.6

Re: What to do with my Baur?

Post by Bigmeat »

Thanks guys.
I've just rung Norton Insurance, for some advice & she says I need a valuation from an Independent source.
Who have you guys used for your valuations? She suggested the Bmw car club. Apparently I can also get it done just though photographs.

1979 Baur TC1 - Currently undergoing restoration.
nas80
E21 Mad

Post by nas80 »

I am insured with performance direct., they asked me to send pics from all angles, and they asked me how much it would cost to replace it, I said 10k and then they said that they would see if the underwriter agrees with the value, I got an email later saying that the underwriter agreed.

Anyway you can get a valuation from BMW car club, if you are a member that is. I think Mark Brown is a bmw club representative.
[img]http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/nasbucket/forumsig.jpg[/img]
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

Hmmm over here insurance companies are very lenient, until that moment you need them. Then they will find all sorts of ways to reject the value that was established earlier. So over here using an appraisal method or party that is accepted by the insurance is must, and I always have them confirm they accept and acknowledge the report and value.

Whatever way, make sure things are documented well and use a third party that can be considered an impartial expert, even in court if needed.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Bigmeat
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by Bigmeat »

So the car has an MOT!
A couple of last minute hiccups like realising it had LHD headlamps during the first mot and failed instantly, have been sorted out.
I've had a valuation (thanks Mark) & spoken to a couple of insurance companies who've given me quotes.
Hoping to go and fetch it a week on Monday during half term.
It's really exciting to think that we're almost at the end of what feels like an incredibly long road & can finally get round to enjoying the car.
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Wowwwww milestone sir! Great news! Just make sure the insurance is in order before you hit the road, and don't let the car out after they started throwing salt on the roads. Just hope the current weather sticks around for a little longer so you can enjoy, finally! Congrats, have a strong drink on this!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
uwbuurman
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): 1978 type 1 323i 5speed dogleg Polaris

Post by uwbuurman »

congrats! You say it took allong time, but I think it's fast! Lots of work has been done! rear nice! (would like to see some pics of it as it is!)
It's the man next door!

1978 BMW 323i
1980 BMW 528i maior restitutio
1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet
2006 BMW 320d touring High Executive
2015 BMW 320dA touring xDrive High Executive ///Msport
Bigmeat
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by Bigmeat »

Well today's the day!
Got it taxed and insured last night, and now we're just setting off on a 400 mile round trip to go and collect her.
Can't wait to see my wife's reaction.
Excited...
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

:shake :cheers :banana :crazy :boogie :driving :launch :rev

and more!

pics we want! :D
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Bigmeat
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Baur 316, back on the road!

Post by Bigmeat »

Well we got to see the car today. A very long day, we just got home and are shattered but it was worth it to see the look on my wife's face, and her reaction to seeing the car. She was just in shock and didn't know of what to say...
"is this a joke?, is it really our car? "

It really nice to see what's been done with it. It's not perfect (yet) but the aim of the restoration was to make the body absolutely perfect and then finish off other stuff as and when money allows, and in this respect the guys at Jaymic have done a cracking job.

It still needs a few bits and pieces, in particular the vinyl strip at the front of the roof, and some interior trim, but the jobs that are left are (hopefully) ones I can do myself rather than paying a fortune to someone else to do them for me.

Unfortunately we didn't get to bring it home. After 4 and a half hours in the car on the way there my wife developed a migraine and wasn't up to driving it back, so we're getting it transported home next week instead, but she did get to drive it a little around Cromer and the weather stayed good.

Ok, so the photos were too small, so i've redone them...

Since these were done i've had the B-pillar panels powder coated & they've come up really nice, so don't look to hard at the flaky paint on them here...
Last edited by Bigmeat on Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Great! Just the look on her face must have made it a worth while day!

Let us know what small bits and pieces you need and maybe we can help you out. Small efforts perhaps to finalize this special project!

Oh and we defo need better pics than that one day! :lol:
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Bigmeat
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by Bigmeat »

I'm not sure why the pics are so bad, once I get it back home I'll get some proper ones.
I'm trying to get quotes for delivering it back to us at the moment, so hopefully we won't have to wait too long.

Here's a bit of a list of some of the parts I need. I'm looking for bits in a good condition, or that will clean up /respray easily.

Interior light

Windscreen wiper fixing nut covers

Left and right sill tread plates (and fixings)

Left and right door aperture seals

Correct rear seat Base (I wasn't aware it didn't have the right one, so might need to take some advice on this once I get it back and can have a proper look at it)

Rear seat headrest mounting frame (Right-hand)

Targa roof panel storage frame (in the boot) not exactly sure which side. (but I'm pretty sure it's the right hand, and was removed along with the headrest frame before I had the car)

Boot carpet, trims etc

Jack and wheelbrace

Might also be better if I post this in the wanted section too.

I'd also like to get the targa top recovered, and the strip of vinyl just above the windscreen. I've noticed on the Classic BMW parts website that the vinyl is not available , but it lists black textile. Was this an option when new?
The car does have a nice new rear roof, and it might look better with a matching front section, but I'm open to advice.
Also, anyone know of a decent but not too expensive trimmer who could do this, preferably in the Birmingham vicinity.

Thanks guys.
jbe21
E21 starter
My E21(s): e21 320/6

Post by jbe21 »

Holy hell, that was some serious welding work e_surprised
impressive.
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

With all you've been through I'd be happy to see if I can help you out, but perhaps there's some more local help as well which might save on shipping big time. Better post your list in the Wanted section and see what happens. The Dutch community will be happy to fill in the gaps I guess...
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Bigmeat
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by Bigmeat »

Edited the post with pics as they were too small.
arshad76
E21 Pro
My E21(s): Considering another E21

Post by arshad76 »

Very nice, white gives it a really classy look. I've kept quiet about parts, because I might have some, somewhere, just not sure where! If I find anything though I'm happy to donte them to finish your car.

Keep up the great work anyway.
UK Moderator