Project E3 is Go! 2014

The place for everything non E21. Now with dedicated E12 & E30 sections
arshad76
E21 Pro
My E21(s): Considering another E21

Project E3 is Go! 2014

Post by arshad76 »

So, as a few of you may know I set my mind on buying an E3 a few years ago. See thread below.

http://www.bmwe21.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... any+anyone

Despite currently having an E21 that I have enjoyed owning and driving, most of my focus will now be on this project and the E21 is now for sale. It will also mean that I stay around here, which is important to me - as I've met plenty of decent people and enjoy the chats and positive spirit overall.

Nas80 of M52 fame will be playing a big part on the project by essentially undertaking a lot of the work, save for the final paint finish itself. We hope to keep this post as a photo diary of the progress that will be made on this project, but I'm hoping that it will be a lot more than just an opportunity to showcase the work done on the car and would really welcome feedback from forum members as the project progresses. I'm guessing that in an interesting way some of the restoration challenges we envisage will help this E21 community with some new contacts and approaches.

Despite never seeing an E3 in the flesh - let alone driving one, reading past and present reviews gave the impression that it was a competent sporting saloon in it's day with superior handling to the more desirable and expensive E9 coupes it was related to. As I quite liked the idea of a four door classic look, both in terms of looks and practicality I started my search for this handsome seventies saloon.

The challenge with finding these cars is that rust had taken their toll on a lot of them. I must have searched for over two years, missing two really good examples along the way. With wanting a left hand drive, many of the good cars are abroad. I'd go on Markplaats, German, Dutch, French and Italian ebay sites, Autoscout and Leboncoin on a regular basis.

You could tell most had succumbed to some serious corrosion just by looking at superficial photos and the state of the door edges. Others had some questionable mods. I didn't plan to keep my car OEM and it would seem wrong to heavily modify a really good stock example. This one below seemed decent, but the logistics of bringing it back from Denmark would have been difficult.

The ideal car was was available within the this very community. A british forum member based in the South of France contacted me about a white 2500 he had for sale (vtecmike). Pictures were sent. The E3 looked good and solid and a deal was done via email.

Last year January, I took the train down to Kent to drive it back up to Manchester. Careful deliberation over a KFC Zinger Burger ensued to understand if the car would actually be able to make the journey. The steering was vague beyond belief (due to a worn steering box it turned out) and the weather was pretty hazardous too with the snow.

I (hysterically) laughed in the face of danger and decided to just do it. With the car warmed up, it actually drove quite well. Getting to Oxford services gave me some hope that the car would actually make it.

And luckily it did make it home to Manchester. Next steps were to have a closer look in the day and get it registered for U.K roads.

This didn't end up being too painful and my local DVLA office in Trafford (since closed sadly) were really helpful. So another E3 officially imported into the U.K.

Next steps will be to show what the plans are the end goal and modifications needed to achieve that, comments welcome :driving

UK Moderator
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Re: Project E3 is Go! 2014

Post by Jeroen »

:thumbsup

let's hear those plans!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
arshad76
E21 Pro

Post by arshad76 »

Sure thing Jeroen! During my research I stumbled across an E3 that fast became a favourite. http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/alpina ... -b2-s.html

Not being a massive fan of Alpina styling on an E21 (apart from the alloys) I felt the alpina touches on this E3 really set it apart, most noticeably the subtle front spoiler. There is an absence of any kind of real front valance on an E3 and I really like this Alpina version on this car because it is quite tasteful and gives the front end a meatier look without protruding too much.

One of the E3's I missed out on during my search was a 3.0 Si in the same colour (Fjord Blue I think). The plan would have been to respray it in the same colour while adding the Alpina bits to make as much of a replica of the same car as possible. That car sold a day before I could get to it and now I feel it was a blessing in disguise.

With an opportunity to start with a cleaner canvas and very much a case of using the Alpina E3 as an inspiration, the plan now is to create a more modern variant. Mine is a series one car and I prefer the look of the series 2 with the smaller rear lights and less fussy rear pillar trim. The plan is to upgrade this E3 to this specification and then share a few of the design cues with the Alpina E3, such as the front spoiler, perhaps even the positioning of the exhaust and a remake of the original Alpina open lug alloys (albeit slightly bigger than the originals). The respray has now been agreed to be in BMW Singapore Grey as discussed in this thread: http://www.bmwe21.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=22743

In terms of the chassis and engine, this will also be Alpina based. The rationale being that if BMW were still making an E3 to this day, it could pass as a factory version with a lot of the adjustments and modifications based on modern good practices.

Some little scrote also snapped of the only mirror on the car, but I took this as a chance to upgrade the mirrors to electric versions from the same car. 323baur from this forum very kindly bid n them on my behalf from Marktplaats and Mal (who resprayed Nas's car) attached them for me. And that's where we are for now. We'll be posting updates more regularly now that the blessed month is ending :thumbsup

Presently the car is with West Yorkshire Customs AKA Nas. As part of getting it registered and passing the MOT the yellow lights were swapped for UK RHD Variants acquired through breaking a 3.3 Li earlier last year: http://www.bmwe21.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... n&start=30

Always good to receive comments and feedback, good or bad. Either way, I'll make sure both me and Nas provide updates - if only to help us keep a photo diary of a project that we have both been excited about getting involved in for the last 2 or more years.
UK Moderator
retro-bmw
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by retro-bmw »

WoW you actually drove it back from France e_surprised

I will be keeping a close eye on this from now :)
arshad76
E21 Pro

Post by arshad76 »

Hey thanks Abid. No, I actually only drove it back from Kent. It was driven there from the South of France though by the forum member I bought it from. Really wasn't a bad drive once I got used to it. Anyway, hope you enjoy the updates.
UK Moderator
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Nice plans! So you're going for 16" old school Alpina alloys then? Even though so many older BMW's are on those, including most E21's, I still love them! There's a good staggered set around, just need patience but there is a small chance the very same 323baur has a set.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Peter V.
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): '82 320/6

Post by Peter V. »

Nice plans and a nice Car. Keep those projectpictures comming please.
Gr Peter V.

.Some say he eats nuts and bolts for breakfast, all we know is he is called the carburetorman.

BMW E21, 1981 320/6 Ascot Grau.
BMW E85, 2004 Z4 2.5i Sterling Grau.
BMW F31, 2017 320dA EDE Luxuryline Mineral Grau.
si.
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by si. »

I really like these will be good to see what you do with this one
1989 325i touring - eventual track car project - maybe for sale
1973 2002 - joint resto with a mate
1982 316 - m20b25 shitty on the outside shiney on the inside
2005 330i - Clubsport individual
nas80
E21 Mad

Post by nas80 »

These are the main things on my list but it does go two pages so far with jobs i have to do.

Fully strip shell, remove all undercoating and inch by inch inspection of the whole shell for rust.
Alpina b3 3.3 engine + box.
Air ride,
refurbished drivetrain (with new bearings, bushes etc)
Brake upgrade
Full rewire with a new loom and fuse box
top quality paint inside and out.
Retrimmed interior with scheel front seats.
Big Alpina wheels and front spoiler.
Air conditioning.
[img]http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/nasbucket/forumsig.jpg[/img]
gerrit323
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): '82 e21 323i hartge

Post by gerrit323 »

NIce car and nices choices I hear so far .. you have my intrest :thumbsup
1992 Mazda mx5
1994 e36 m3
2015 Renault Mégane RS 275 trophy
2019 Abarth esseesse
2020 caterham 310R
2021 ford custom sportvan

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thielema ... 1227513195
arshad76
E21 Pro

Post by arshad76 »

Jeroen wrote:Nice plans! So you're going for 16" old school Alpina alloys then? Even though so many older BMW's are on those, including most E21's, I still love them! There's a good staggered set around, just need patience but there is a small chance the very same 323baur has a set.
Appreciate the interest and comments everyone :thumbsup. I spent a fair bit of time thinking about what the alloys should be on this car. Style 5's and other BBS variants tend to suit E3's well, but as I'm going for a semi Alpina look, they really need to be Alpina to keep things looking consistent.

I love the open lug look and intially set my mind on some original staggered 16"s. They are difficult to track down as Jeroen alluded to. I did find a couple of sets, but I then wondered how much of a beating potentially 50 year old wheels would have taken. I then came across these guys based in California http://www.coupeking.com. They seem to do some pretty nice aftermarket stuff for E3's and E9's. In particular they make a pretty tasty version of the original16" Alpina's. To quote them "Unlike original ALPINA wheels, these are made using modern metallurgy and don’t bend if you look at them hard!" The quality looks first rate and they also make a version with a polished lip.

Just about to opt for a set, I then got thinking that a big car like this should really rock a bigger wheel and tyre combo. Perhaps not 19"'s or even 18"s but 17"s would be a nice subtle upgrade. Alpina never made a 17" open lug design, but necessity is the mother of invention and a quick search of "17" Alpina open lugs" came up with some images and info of folk who had modified more modern 17" Alpina alloys to an open lug look, essentially by taking off the centre caps, painting the lug area black or anthracite and adding an Alpina badge over the hub.

Here you can see a 6 series where you can see the difference between the original 16"s at the front and the modified 17"s at the back. I personally think they just look so much better

Another 6 series on open lug look 17"s

I managed to score some staggered 17" Alpina's from a E32 and replica classic Alpina wheel caps from Coupe King that will go on once I have them refurbished. I understand that some purists won't like it, but the goal is to create a modern adaption of a classic and I think it's a subtle, but more purposeful update. Thoughts anyone?
UK Moderator
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Well you need to look real close to see they're the later type!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
uwbuurman
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): 1978 type 1 323i 5speed dogleg Polaris

Post by uwbuurman »

They look great, them 17"! Must look great when your project is finished, Arshad!
It's the man next door!

1978 BMW 323i
1980 BMW 528i maior restitutio
1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet
2006 BMW 320d touring High Executive
2015 BMW 320dA touring xDrive High Executive ///Msport
theneek
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by theneek »

Good luck! I'm wrenching on my E3 Bavaria right now.
arshad76
E21 Pro

Post by arshad76 »

theneek wrote:Good luck! I'm wrenching on my E3 Bavaria right now.

I'm glad you guys agree, 17"s should be a good compromise and fill the arches nicely. I hope to god that's not you driving in your avatar! :lol: I guess I've never officially said "hello" neek, but aware of your E21 and bav from bimmerforums and love your design direction. If you can offer any advice when it comes to air suspension, including which kit would be the best it would be really helpful.
UK Moderator