Selling European LHD cars from the U.K back to Europe

The place for everything non E21. Now with dedicated E12 & E30 sections
arshad76
E21 Pro
My E21(s): Considering another E21

Selling European LHD cars from the U.K back to Europe

Post by arshad76 »

I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on a topic of interest I have. I am currently based in the Middle East (Oman) and have been here for almost 2 years. As with anywhere there are pros and cons, and the same comes to cars.

Interestingly the odd gem does appear here that can be found for ridiculously cheap money. I have bought one of my dream cars, a W124 e500 (happy to post some pics if anyone is interested?). Others also go here, like some tasty Alpinas and AMG c36's and 43's. I think the low prices are due to ignorance about the exclusiveness of these cars and the lack of/expensive spare parts or maintenance schedules.

Anyway, I wish to bring my e500 back with me. The plan is to keep it, but sometimes plans change and I may end up selling it. I am thinking of bringing another car back, purely to take advantage of the container space available in the price.

My question is this. I don't forsee any problems selling the e500 in the U.K, but other cars may get the best markets in the rest of Europe. Apart from Brexit issues, does anyone know of any issues selling lhd cars registered in the U.K back into Europe?

Be interested to hear of anyones experiences/thoughts.

UK Moderator
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Re: Selling European LHD cars from the U.K back to Europe

Post by Jeroen »

Never was any issue as road authorities had to accept registrations from fellow EU member states. Brexit might mess that up, but who knows how much will change?
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
uwbuurman
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): 1978 type 1 323i 5speed dogleg Polaris

Post by uwbuurman »

No, shouldn't be a problem. E500 and 500e are fast in the straight line. Cool cars. When I was a little boy, the neighbour always drove w124's, and got to go to school with it.

But I don't believe selling a lhd from the uk to the mainland should be a problem. Ofcourse, the obvious goes: keep your paper trail in order. So be sure to have some history, import and export papers stating the miles or kms and stuff like that. History makes a car desirable, especially on cars like an e500.
It's the man next door!

1978 BMW 323i
1980 BMW 528i maior restitutio
1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet
2006 BMW 320d touring High Executive
2015 BMW 320dA touring xDrive High Executive ///Msport
arshad76
E21 Pro
My E21(s): Considering another E21

Post by arshad76 »

Thanks chaps. I asked because I had a lot of problems shifting my e21 in the end. It was lhd, but despite enquiries from folk in Europe ended up being bought in England.
I put it down to a non standard engine. Hopefully with a standard spec should be good.
UK Moderator