My S14 powered E30 320iS

gerrit323
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): '82 e21 323i hartge

Re: My S14 E30 320iS

Post by gerrit323 »

Mooi toch ... ik hoop dat je in de alpen verzuipt in de regen :mrgreen: .. dan kan je een goeie resumé van banden en stabi's in natte omstandigheden schrijven ..

Echt benieuwd naar die bevindingen .. droog weer prestaties bevallen me nu al :thumbsup

1992 Mazda mx5
1994 e36 m3
2015 Renault Mégane RS 275 trophy
2019 Abarth esseesse
2020 caterham 310R
2021 ford custom sportvan

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thielema ... 1227513195
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Re: My S14 E30 320iS

Post by Jeroen »

Just found out there are only 11 E30 320iS-es in the Netherlands (2 door and 4 door models together)! :cheers

Oops, apologise to all non Dutch speaking viewers, I see we have built up quite a discussion in Dutch on the past few pages. To summarize the work that's been done over the past year:

- replaced conrod bearings
- fitted Eibach anti roll kit bigger and stiffer sway bars
- fitted oil pan baffle
- fitted reinforced subframe

Together with a brake rebuild with Ferodo DS2500 pads and Até PowerDisc rotors, fresh fluids and fresh Toyo R1-R tyres she should be able to supply us with lots of joy again!

A few pics:

Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Jeroen
Site Admin

Re: My S14 powered E30 320iS

Post by Jeroen »

Some videos, starting off with a few laps at the Zandvoort track and the Oldtimer Festival. Nothing fancy, just driving lines as far as possible and enjoying S14 music :P

One of the latest videos I made with this car belongs in this topic as well. It's also part of my report on the 2012 Alps & Italy trip with the iS.

Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

And a recent pic of the 'iS' on its new R1-R's

Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Found some nice articles, will copy paste the text to save it as I don't expect the seller's pages to be on line forever.

http://www.theeurophile.com/reviews/201 ... than-an-m3

http://www.theeurophile.com/shop/bmw-32 ... italian-m3

theeurophile.com wrote:Collectors circle the E30 M3 like beak-licking Falcons soaring above a plump, white rabbit. They have become an essential element of any well-rounded collection. The M3 is butch and brash and moans one of the sexiest words in the world: homologation. But it is not the best E30 to drive. All those sexy augmentations weigh the car down, like silicone DDs giving a woman back problems. That plump white Rabbit has a Delphin Grey sister that shares the same S14 engine as the M3 but weighs an astonishing 242 pounds less. Her formal name is 320is, which shamefully fails to acknowledge the legitimacy of her M-ness. So she prefers to travel under her nickname, the “Italian M3,” like Maria Shriver referring to herself as a Kennedy in order to get the corner table. And after traveling with her through Europe, and driving up the California coast, I prefer the vivacity and athleticism of the 320is to the more superficial charms of her famous big sister, the M3.

There once was a King named Faisal, who ruled a sea of sand atop a sea of oil. In 1973 he funded a pincer attack on Israel during Yom Kippur. It was a blitzkrieg success for three days, but then Israel, with the help of the West, counterattacked to victory. The king, furious in his humiliation, put both hands around our pipeline and chocked the economy–until we were thumbing open 12 percent mortgage bills while waiting in alternate-day gas lines. The United States responded with an economical 55 mph speed limit. The Italians and Portuguese applied a shirk ray of taxation on engines larger than 2 liters, in an attempt to get them in symmetry with their oil supply.

BMW had a problem. Luigis were walking into Milanese BMW dealerships with $45,000 looking for an M3 but stormed out yelling, “nessuno mi lufungulo’” after hearing that they would have to pay an additional $9000 in tax because it was .3 liters over the limit. Most of the time, when Eurocrats spew mercantilist goo, it gums up the works. But every once in a while, the strange distortive effects of regulation shart a hope diamond, or a four-door S14 that weighs 242 pounds less than an M3.

BMW went to Paul Rosche, who designed all the early Motorsport engines and asked him to de-stroke his S14 engine from the M3 to down to 2 liters. Rosche shortened the crank (72.6 vs 84), lengthened the rods, and fitted headers from a rally car, which resulted in an engine that only makes 3 horsepower less than the 2.3 (192 vs 195) and 15 fewer ft/lb of torque (155 vs 170). They connected it to a shorter differential (3.46 vs 3.25), so it would accelerate harder, and only offered it with a dogleg, close-ratio gearbox, to better keep it in it’s rev range. It was fitted with individual throttle plates, machined intake and exhaust ports, and a crankshaft with eight counterweights.

You know when you are driving a special engine. It is not about horsepower; turbos have that. It’s not about torque; ask any truck. A special engine channels its magic from the god of Charisma, like an MGM contract movie star. They don’t walk into the room any faster than anyone else, but you could watch them do it over and over again. Every time I start the 320is, I smile. It’s like waking up a randy lover who slept the night. You are greeted with enthusiasm.

The Italian M3 is the most eager car I have ever driven. It’s like a puppy dog at the beach who keeps charging into the surf to retrieve a ball. You throw it into sharper and sharper corners until you think it will give up, but it just slides on through them with the ball clenched sloppily in it’s mouth.

Off the line, the smooth clutch engages a light flywheel; the shifter tugs backward, like the head of a Arabian pulled by a sharp bit. Everything has frisson: the steering, throttle, shifter and seat. It’s a car on cocaine at Studio 54.

The genius move was dropping the S14 it into the lightest E30 chassis they could find. The US M3 was 2865 pounds and the 320is was only 2623 pounds. So the 320is weighs an astonishing 242 pounds less. This means that the 320is has 7.3 percent better power to weight and only suffers only a de minimis 0.4 percent drop in torque to weight. This weight difference is about the same as between a Porsche 964 and 964RS, making the 320is the most Rennsport version of the E30.

When the German car magazine Auto Motor Und Sport tested the 320is against the M3 they wrote, “The bigger engine actually has less power in the lower rpm range. A fourth gear run from 40 to 100 kph took the M3 13.6 seconds but the 320is only took 12.8.” They said the 2 liter engine revved more smoothly and finished the article by writing, “Less is indeed more.

The 320is is not just more powerful. Removing 242 pounds of weight doesn’t just improve the power, it improves every dynamic ability. The Italian M3 handles and stops better than an M3. This is even more important to the character of the Italian M3 than it’s superior power. The car changes direction as if you were blowing on a feather. That lightweight, hand-built S-14 is humping the firewall, leaving a huge gap to the front of the car, almost like somebody made a mistake. This moves the center of mass inward, like an ice skater pulling in their extremities to accelerate the spin into a blur.

Or as Auto Motor Und Sport wrote, “The 320is reacts to the slightest steering action more willing than the M3, appears to be handling better, but also demands more attention from its driver than the good-natured and understeering M3.

BMW World Magazine tested the 320is against an EVO2 M3 and came away saying, “It’s the 320is I’d take home.

I got into early M cars about 12 years ago when I got my wife an E28 M5 and myself an E30 M3, and would like to think of myself as a knowledgeable BMW enthusiast. But I had no idea that the 320is existed until late last year when a deer took out my wife’s Mercedes 190e 2.3-16. I had to replace her car but there was no way I would find another Cosworth as good as hers and the US versions were a little anemic anyway. So I looked through the M Registry and found something even cooler, a four-door M3.

I bought the car from a Milanese auto journalist, and drove it 13 hours to the port in Germany, including nine hours on the Autobahn, accelerating the 320is to its 144 mph limit as often as possible. After a trip across the Atlantic, months of separation and a $7000 bill from it’s new mechanic, I drove it up the California coast to our house in Marin, where it enjoys the distinction of being the only 320is in the United States. Nobody knows what it is. It’s the ultimate four-door, family stealth car. If you prefer to Peacock in a Lamborghini, it’s not your car. But if you are the kind of guy who wears a white gold Submariner and de-badges his cars, you have found Nirvana.

Bimmer Magazine tested the 320is in 2009 and wrote,”Like the E30 M3 sold in the US, the Italian 320is is highly strung. But unlike the M3, however, it hides its demeanor beneath an elegant and restrained exterior. Don't be fooled by appearances: driving the 320is is like an affair fueled by passion and adrenaline. I want it, and badly!

There were 18,843 E30 M3s produced. But only 1205 320is four-doors, and 2540 coupes. I spoke with Alex Palevsky, who curates the M Registry, and he said, “I don’t know of any other 320is in the United States. I think it is a car for a very specific person; someone who understands that this is a special and unique car and the car doesn’t have to shout about it. It’s a car for someone who wants a total sleeper.”

As I drove the car up the coast, its dexterity gave me confidence to the push the 80s limits. You rip through the tightly spaced gears, shifting at redline, felling a surge of energy course through your body all out of proportion to the acceleration. You press the firm brake pedal into the meat of its range and the car decelerates as hard at it accelerates. And then, it laterally accelerates into a corner. You drive the 15 inch front rubber to its lightly chirping limit and adjust your line with the accelerator. Oversteer is available with either lift off or excessive throttle, but there is an organic reversion to neutrality, so you are pointed down the straight on exit.

All this takes place in a cockpit that was designed at the pinnacle of German quality. The Euro-terior is superior. Cloth sport seats grip you better. Black window winders hang like earrings from the Anthracite cloth door cards. Even though the car is 26 years old, it is squeak free. The plastics are handsomely textured. The instruments are paradigms of clarity, and offer the S-14 specific, oil temperature gauge to let you know when the engine is properly warmed. The glovebox is without any pneumatic struts and isn’t three inches thick. But it probably weighs a fraction of the one in a modern 3 series. An onboard computer expresses itself in large red digits, like an early digital watch. There is room for two adults or three kids in the back, unless you fold down the rear armrest to pass your skis through. The M-Tech 1 steering wheel is gracefully shaped and endowed with an extraordinary amount of feel.

The factory M-Tech 2 body kit offers front and rear spoilers, side-skirts, and door moldings, which contribute to a look that is halfway between the austerity of a base E30 and the flamboyance of an M3. It looks special but in a reserved way, like a hand stitched lapel, or working buttons on the cuff of a Saville Row suit.

Pavlevsky later told me that, “You got so lucky; 97 percent of the four-doors were base. No sport seats, a four-spoke plastic steering wheel. And the M-Tech 2 body kit is incredibly rare on a four-door, even though yours was added later, it is very had to find. Your’s is a freak.”

And that is what the Italian M3 feels like, a super-freak at a Berlusconi Bunga-Bunga party who willingly takes on five passengers, squeals around corners, and likes being whipped to redline.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

And while we're bringing the E30 section back to life let's update this one as well. The 320iS took part in the Rotterdam dealership Breeman ///M event

The first and the latest M3 saloon next to each other :wink:

A lot of E30 M3's and other ///M-joy at the event as well, see here for the photo report: Breeman ///M event
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Spotted at the S14 meet this May :wink:

Regards/groeten, Jeroen
pandemonium001
E21 Pro
My E21(s): E12 535i T (ish)

Post by pandemonium001 »

Very nice car, like the baffle as well. Have you ever seen any advantage in the crank scraper plates?? opposed to the windage tray in the pics above?
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Thanks! You mean as pictured below? No idea really, never dug into that, but I figured that it wasn't worth it for a street car.

But as for the oil pan baffle, I did a few mods after getting some hints from guys that used to drive rally M3's because I was picking up air on long turns during trackdays. Hence the baffle, slightly overfilling (abt 2mm) and using the larger M20 oil filter. Never had any issues since. Not a completely scientific approach as I don't know which mod made the biggest contribution but I didn't want to see the oil pressure light come on again, ever.

Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

The 320iS did fine during the Eifel trip last September and if our wallet allows we'd like to take the car to a tour of Italy again this year, and we'll make sure to take some detours across the Alps and Dolomites of course!

Work planned:

1 I'm not too happy about brake pedal travel and a softish pedal which usually is due to tilting brake calipers, a true Até issue. Since my fronts are Girling it must come from the rears which I will rebuild where the rubber mounts will be replaced by metal.
2. Brake pads are all over 10 years old, the old Ferodo DS2500 design that always needed to be warmed up properly and now over time starts to loose its bite so I ordered new DS2500 pads all round

Still want to stick to the stock brake setup and after this refresh that should be fine I guess. Some stuff is getting old like the brake master, the clutch master and the water pump but without any issues or leaks I think I will take my chances on these, gotta stop somewhere with all the preventive work.

Regards/groeten, Jeroen
bmw e12 e21
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): '82 323i Edition S man. + ´83 M315 man.

Post by bmw e12 e21 »

Nice! A trip to Italy with an Italian BMW car. :thumbsup
Will you make some stops to look at e21 cars for sale there?
There are interesting cars for good prices. :wink:
grt Remy

BMW e21 M315 1983 75pk+ 110Nm+ Double WEBER DCOE 40
BMW e21 323i ED. S 1982 143pk 190Nm
BMW e12 M535i 1980 218pk 310Nm
BMW e91 318d 2009 190pk 411Nm
FORD Focus 1.8TDci 2010 115pk 300Nm
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

If all goes well this will be my 5th trip to Italy with the car, I'm sure it will be fun again. And yes, we might check out some classic and youngtimer cars when we 'happen' to be in the neighbourhood indeed! Also see the report on my 2012 trip with the iS.

Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

A little update here as well. Haven't gotten around to replacing the brake pads and doing the bushings upgrade on the Até calipers, but I ordered a few more parts so I could process things in one go... on of these days I hope. Got myself a new Até brake master, stock size, and unrelated but since the original is pretty much antique, I got myself a new water pump as well.

Brake fluid will be DOT 5.1 spec and I ordered the Motive Products Power Bleeder as an upgrade to the cheap and worn Eezibleed. Almost ready to start... now get me some free time!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Did the brake work back in August:
- replaced brake master with new Até
- overhauled front and rear calipers, gave the rear Até calipers the brass bushings upgrade (not available for Girling fronts)
- fitted new Ferodo DS2500 pads all round

After some decent bedding in I was able to test the new setup during our annual Eifel trip, but I still find the car could do with more stopping power. At least I now knew the stock setup was as good as possible. Can also have to do with the fenomenal grip the Toyo R1R tyres are giving, these really need violent braking to lock up, my previous Michelin tyres locked up much easier.

Anyway, came across a set of 300mm.de fronts so I will fit that come spring time I guess. Set consists of 4 pot Porsche Boxster calipers, steel brackets and 300mm discs. Need to see but I might go for Ferodo pads there as well. As always I will retain all outcoming original parts.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
uwbuurman
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): 1978 type 1 323i 5speed dogleg Polaris

Post by uwbuurman »

Nice! Wasn't that hub conversion that Gerrit's car has no option?
It's the man next door!

1978 BMW 323i
1980 BMW 528i maior restitutio
1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet
2006 BMW 320d touring High Executive
2015 BMW 320dA touring xDrive High Executive ///Msport