alschux
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Re: Alpineweiss 316

Post by alschux »

Next time for sure mate!

petroscf
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): '77 EU 316 (2.0 - manual/dogleg - lsd)

Post by petroscf »

Beautiful car, mate!!
I believe that white colour is matching the E21 body very well!!!!
/oo=00=oo\
E21 Forever
raseeda green
E21 Fanatic

Post by raseeda green »

Hi,
Very lovely car! Its so impressive to see that new engine rebuild and is it a m10, how did you get to new looking. Ive hear that that is the original front spoiler for the e21 its looks fantastis in white mate! I have the 316 and wants to do this to mine engine, when it get a bit nacked.
316 auto raseeda green
323 red m52 modified
alschux
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by alschux »

Thanks for the comments guys! :cheers

All the engine parts I just thoroughly cleaned up and then painted with high temp resistant paint, obviously all the inward facing bits and gasket/seal faces were masked off.
alschux
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by alschux »

Stumbled across a place near to where I'm working which does a full rolling road tuning session for under a hundred quid, which I thought was worth a mention. They're Weber agents, carry a large range of jets etc, and mentioned they could probably beat anyone on the price of new weber carb.

Place is called J P Autotechnics based in Aughton near Sheffield, http://www.jpautotechnicsltd.co.uk just popped by to have my tracking done this morning, but I'm booked in for next saturday on the RR!

Sounds promising to me, looking forward to seeing what power the rebuilt motor makes. I'll let you know how it goes....
nas80
E21 Mad

Post by nas80 »

How much do they charge for a power run?
[img]http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/nasbucket/forumsig.jpg[/img]
alschux
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by alschux »

Not sure, ~100 quid is power run and tuning, so should be way less than that. I'll check on Saturday
nas80
E21 Mad

Post by nas80 »

Ah ok i just want a power run.

Could you find out how much group bookings are? Say 10 cars?
[img]http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/nasbucket/forumsig.jpg[/img]
nicks85
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by nicks85 »

To say that's a tidy e21 would be an understatement..

haven't seen many of the white one's about on the road I must admit.
alschux
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by alschux »

Long time since the last update, mainly due to a move to Germany, but I've finally got my efi setup running.

Took everything intake side of the engine from an '85 e30 318i LHD, cleaned it all up and fitted with new fuel pressure reg, injectors, cold start valve and other bits. Estimated cost sofar is about 450 Euros. Wiring was quite straightforward, just had to fix a few breaks. The wire for fuelpump power was already run from the car side of the engine loom plug to the back seat, which was cool. Had previously done the fuel return pipe using original BMW hard line (PITA to bend!) and the 318is e30 pump dropped in a treat! Managed to get the airmeter and filter mounted to the underside of the battery tray quite tidily, which I was quite pleased with (no need to move the battery to the boot), and the ECU looks well in its new home in the top of the glovebox. Just need to route tidily and heat shrink all the wires in the engine bay now to tidy things up.

So we now have a slightly modernised 320i! Not been able to do much road testing as it has no TUV or insurance - plan is to register it as a classic in Austria eventually (where my missus lives). It runs and idles well, but is a bit lumpy on hard acceleration, so...

My next project is to fit a lambda sensor in the downpipe, but need to take it off and have a boss welded on for that. Does anyone know how well the 318i efi setup should run without a lambda? Is the lumpyness to be expected?

Found a nice BBS rear spoiler for her as well.

Pictures and wiring diagram to follow...
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Re: Alpineweiss 316 Now with EFI!

Post by Jeroen »

Sounds good! Should be doing fine without the lambda or O2 sensor but if its a cat DME you can also have the lambda control disabled (dealer with DIS or MoDiC) or fit a different (non cat) Motronic, two more options. At least have the car on an exhaust gas analyzer to see what the current AFR is as this may be way off causing the lumpyness.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
alschux
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by alschux »

Still no chance to upload the pics/wiring diagram unfortunately...

@Jeroen, It's all L-Jet, so no chance to have anything disabled in the ECU I would guess?!

I'm suspecting my bad running is simply due to it not being timed quite right. Now had the problem that in the cold weather weve been having I have to hold the revs to 2000 ish to stop it stalling. I got it warmed up to midpoint on the temp guage, and it stayed there for 5-10 mins, but coming off the throttle meant it died. However, when I looked in the engine compartment the exhaut mani was glowing red hot! What do you guys think, timing or too lean perhaps?
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Correct about the L-Jet. Sounds like lean but I'd check both exhaust gas composition and static ignition timing with vacuum hose(s) disconnected. Almost there though I guess. Pics? :wink:
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
alschux
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by alschux »

Finally got my pics sorted....

Mounting of Airflow meter to battery tray:

With battery in:

Engine bay and running!:

ECU mounted:

Close up of Injector rail etc:

Wiring still needs tidying, planning to take the new engine loom out and rewrap/heatshrink it in an OEM stylee once it's running properly...
Last edited by alschux on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Thanks! Let me move this thread to the 4 cyl subforum. As for the AFM, might be picking up too much humidity when driving in rain if it sits as low as it's now?
Regards/groeten, Jeroen