1982 BMW 316 E21

grungeisdead
E21 starter

Re: 1982 BMW 316 E21

Post by grungeisdead »

arshad76 wrote:Welcome here. Nice wheels, are you from Manchester too grunge? I spotted the Hulme bridge!

Cheers Arshad. I am mate, been here 7 years now :)

Hopefully catch up with you guys at a meet, if there are any local BM meets.

We could do a e21 mate, as it seems like theres a few on here from manchester and I have two friends with E21s too :)

Jamie - sweet lad, I've probably got some snaps of it on my phone, I'll pop over and see you Saturday as I am only round the corner from you

grungeisdead
E21 starter

Post by grungeisdead »

couple of daytime shots - car is filthy as bastard workmen were cutting concrete next to my drive :(

not a massive amount done in the last few days - changed the gearbox and diff oil, and fitted a subwoofer and amp in the boot - still have to refit the rear seats after finishing wiring up the rear shelf speakers.

Got a new exhaust on the way and fingers crossed someone comes through about a set of coilies!

Going to weld up some subframes for a set of recaros my mates donated to me
raseeda green
E21 Fanatic

Post by raseeda green »

Them wheels are sweet, what are they?
316 auto raseeda green
323 red m52 modified
grungeisdead
E21 starter

Post by grungeisdead »

ta - 14x7 compo cx330s
grungeisdead
E21 starter

Post by grungeisdead »

Well a month has passed and I'm still loving the BM.

Got a momo boss off the 'bay and fitted one of the few 300mm momo team steering wheels I've got kicking about, although gutted I cannot find my horn push in amongst my myriad of parts.

Fitted rear speakers and a sub/amp in the boot, life with tunes and bass is amazing, don't know how I managed without it for the last few years since the muppets fiery demise! Oh yeah I remember, a supercharged soundtrack works wonders =D

On the quest for coilovers or lowered suspension, it seems that no one in the BM world actually wants to part with theirs, so after suffering vertigo since I bought it, I chopped 2 and a half coils out last night from the front suspension for some aggressive rake look :)

Also go round to offering up the recaros, need a slight bit of modification with a welder but nothing too drastic so will be jumping on that this week.
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

And then we only get one photo? :wink:
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
problemchild75
E21 Fanatic

Post by problemchild75 »

i have a plain momo horn push kicking about
grungeisdead
E21 starter

Post by grungeisdead »

Had the unfortunate task of attending a funeral for my best friend who sadly passed away far too young, the funeral fell upon my birthday. We had a birthday bender booked in Amsterdam, but made alternative arrangements, got the cars polished up and respresented Walshie, in a funeral procession of fillthy automobiles - he would have been proud!

And a snap from attending an end of year soiree between a few NW air-cooled clubs

Nothing much to report in the Beemers world bar enjoying it. Still got lots of little maintainance jobs that I have been putting off due to the cold weather, but now the new years arrived, its time to get some cars finished up and moved out of the unit.

Thinking of swapping out the lump for something fruity, was just going to bike-carb the current, but i think the liners are worn on the block as its smoking a bit when setting off, most notable when reversing!
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

Sorry to hear, very sad reason for polishing her up but she looks sweet. As for the smoke, perhaps it's just valve stem seals? What oil spec are you using on her?
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
grungeisdead
E21 starter

Post by grungeisdead »

had some fun in a empty work car park last friday

fitted my ruote type 018-A's. It's probably going to stay on these now, as the compo's are for the yellow peril

got some volvo 4 pots and some spax lowering shocks and springs en route in the post

grungeisdead
E21 starter

Post by grungeisdead »

As going to fit the shocks and springs last night but decided to clean them up and give them a lick of paint before they go on the car.

Welded up a frame for some RS recaros that Rich sorted me out

Need more welding gas before i can continue next week and fit the drivers. Planning on using VHT vinyl dye to do the carpets and seats black
TobyA
E21 starter

Post by TobyA »

Looking good! (That was me on Albion Way.) Have you put the Compomotives back on? Like the stance :thumbsup

We should have a Manc area meet soon.
1983 316
grungeisdead
E21 starter

Post by grungeisdead »

Easy now!

Nah still not rocking the compo's, want to polish them up first and wait for the salted roads to clear. they are only back on cos I got a flat tyre the other day :(

In even more dread news, the headgasket went today. Quite timely as the tax is up on Monday, so I'll sorn it, get my mate to do the headgasket as I'm pretty busy with my other cars at the minute.

Was cleaning up the spax shocks i picked up for the rear, as they were pretty rusty and I was spraying up a set of coilovers for the polo. Unfortunatly the rust on the inner side of the spring perch was so bad that it went through the strut tube, so thats a no go :(

Will probably stick the spax springs on the rear with the std shocks. Still struggling to find any cheap and cheerful lowering kits, or just shorter shocks, so probably going to have to make my own coilies with some budget mk1 coilovers on my golf, been looking for an excuse to get some decent stuff for that as its the track monster
nas80
E21 Mad

Post by nas80 »

you can use the rear coilovers from a mk2/3 golf or corrado i believe. you just need to have a measure first...
[img]http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/nasbucket/forumsig.jpg[/img]
grungeisdead
E21 starter

Post by grungeisdead »

I should have a pair of them in the unit belonging to a mate so I will check them out - cheers dude.

Well since my last update (which was March 28th) where the headgasket was going, as it was chucking white smoke out the back of the car, I've been a little busy.

Pulled my Golf out the unit and drove it home,it was still misbehaving so I spent an entire weekend diagnosing its misfiring issue - its a 1.3 engine with a T25 turbo in it.gave up an ended up doing this!

which meant I now had no working car!

So got a bottle of this ;)

And I've had a working beemer that hasnt lost any coolant since =D However the Golf was finished today and is back on the road, so I thought I would share a couple of pictures.

Golfs now rocking a supercharged 170bhp 1.3 setup, the turbo will eventually see its way onto one of my poloes. The beemer will be tucked up for a bit on standby whilst I finish my comet blue mk2 polo, which means the beemer can then get a space of its own in the unit and get a bit of loving.