J.K.jr.bad. 315th

J.K.jr.bad.
Upcoming E21 fanatic
My E21(s): BMW 315, BMW 323
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/ADParts

J.K.jr.bad. 315th

Post by J.K.jr.bad. »

Hi!

Thanks to E21noob post I finally recovered my lost story about this 315. You are welcome to enjoy story from beginning and I will put some update on this car.
So let’s start from beginning!
This car was bought in 2006 when I got tired of waiting for my 323 get back from repair shop. My hands wanted to do something and they helped me to search on local advertisement web site to find this British green recolored 315.
First intentions were to “build” something that could be used for trackdays. But to keep it handle good I would be sticking to 4 cylinders.
In my original post this all was called: “Several year sex with 315”. Perhaps in English it sounds impolite but in Latvian which is my language it would mean that there was no easy day with this car. :) As you will see that numerous tunes were done to this car and most of them were achieved by “knock and see what’ s in” method. So if any of my ideas are usable please use it and share them!

So my hands helped me to find 315 in pretty good condition + it had fresh MOT sticker!
At first look car was pretty good.

No signs of major rust.

Previous owner was already doing something with car.

When I bought car was equipped with BBS’s. After sometime they were traded for original e21 Alpina’ s. And when we made a deal I found out that actually this car had R14 rims at the front and R15 at the back. :D

Helo! I’m’ m10B16 carbu!

Looks like previous owner liked window sill and floor paint. :)

After looking at rear struts I knew that this will be my new car. Paid ~500Eur and now I had a 315!

Both sides perfect, I would say!

Engine

As 1.6L engine with no horsepower was not a good choice for trackday I with help of my hands went for a new search and tried to find impossible – m10b20. And after some moths I found one from 1976 e12 automatic fed through carburetor.
[Image

So let’ s take a look how this “cat in bag” looks

First impression was not so good…

Scratched all over…

Looks like something is missing…

So everything was taken apart and washed through out

“Murshrooms”

And also crankshaft looked fine

All kind of repairs were done to the engine but nothing serious

Enginge bay is ready something to swallow

Kind of ready to go in

Welcome to your new home!

Converted to electronic injections managed with MegaSquirt. Big throttle (76mm) conversion.
All set up and already running.

Engine management

As I already mentioned cars fuel/spark management was converted to MegaSquirt. As this was my first ever attempt to do the wiring for a car it took a while to do it. Actually the hardest thing was to start doing it. As all this was new and unknown and this unknown always scares a bit. But after couple of wires it all turned just a matter of routing wire from point A to B. And hardest thing was to figure out what would be best way to route and connect similar wires (like pluses and negatives etc.). For this car I did some 3 wiring setups. Each time improving setup. Soldering is still a issue for me but somehow car worked. :D

At first wiring setup I used old wires, just to be sure that I’m doing everything correct.
At second time I uses new wires new conectors etc.

Individual coils were used on second wiring. They came out from some m50 engine. New Bosch spark wires.

Crankshaft sensor from m20.

As much as I could I used original conectors. This is from coils.

Suspension

My first try to change something in suspension was putting H&R springs (-35mm) and Bilstein B4 shocks. It all was crap if we talking about trackday racing.
Next setup was smarter: Some Powertech springs (-60mm) + customized Koni Sport fronts and Bilstein B6 at the rear.
This is how this last set up looked like

As I said that this setup was customized and here is the explanation to it:
Due to “extreme” 60mm lowering turned out that stokes for shocks were too long and springs wouldn’t be compressed to keep in place. So there was some unpainful modification for fronts and rears.

Fronts had to be pushed deeper in to struts and so lower part of Koni’ s were cut. In picture above you can see a metal sleeves that were used to keep shock abrorber from moving upwards.

At rear similar sleeve was used to rise spring plate to keep spring tensioned.

All still new and clean. But not for a long time. :)

Originaly my 315 was not equipped with rear anti roll bar. So I found one and installed. Simply put it on. No modifications. And difference is huge!

60mm!! lowered with winter rims/tyres on.

And this is how it was meant to be in summer. ATS Cup rims ET 25/28 and widened with 20mm flanges. Honda tires – 195/50 R15. :)

Interior

Original Recaros were found and main seat was installed. Some time later all interior was changed to Recaro.

Black color door panels installed as well.

Mtech steering wheel. I think looks very good in this car!

Full install Recaro

At rear as well. Also there is no such thing as rear Recaros but color/pattern match is important.

Transmision

Originaly car was equipped with 4 speed manual. As sometimes car would be put on highway I wanted to get a 5 speed. Again there was a problem to get one from e21 including propshaft. So I got from e30 both things. But there was another problem – speedo. As you know e21 has mechanicaly driven speedometer but e30 electronic. So this is how I did.

A weapon!

Installed

Adding a plate to hold sender which was taken out of some BMW diff

Aligned

Speedo from e30 installed into e21 dash

Originaly 315 has a 4.10 diff. As for everyday usage it was too short it was changed to 3.45 from 323. Also it was equipped with LSD which came out directly from e30/e36 small diff. Fits perfectly. Only to put it in to e21 diff case you have to unscrew LDS cap and bolt it back again in the diff case.

Putting prop shaft from e30 makes a problem. The bearing is located in different place. Some heavy hamer work had to be done + new brackets made. Later I found original e21 gearbox and prop shaft.

Brakes

As original brakes are not perfect and rear brakes were antic drums I did some upgrade all around. As most of you know that to make front brakes better easy way is to choose calipers from Volvo 240 (Girling). Usualy you simply swap old calipers to new and that’s it. Well I did some better upgrade. I did some deep research and found bigger brake discs that would fit my car without heavy modification. I found that New Mini has right size and offset for my set up. The changes you have to make is to ask someone make a centering bush to center this brake disc to e21 hub. Plus dril a hole for a screw that keeps brake disc from falling off while rim is not on. Only in this case you have to attach caliper from other side of strut. See pictures below. And in the end you have not only 4cyl brakes but also a 276mm disc instead of 255! And as you can see on pictures you still can put on 14 inch steel wheels! Unfortunately you can’t use original offset rims as some 20mm spacer is required to put rims.

Some detailed pictures

Bunch of tubing

Here you can see that caliper is mounted on other side. The distance between brake disc and dust cover.

In this picture you cans see that now brake pads doesn’t reach the whole surface of brake disc.

Some 5mm of brake pads hangs over. Using original e21 discs this overhang will be on other side.

But there is one tricky part. To screw these calipers to struts you either have to split in two calipers or using lots of patients, millimeter by millimeter screw them.

All in place!

Here you can see clearance between steel R14” rims. Some 3-5mm only, but no problems.

And this is how it looks on alloy rims. But there is one another problem. No t all alloy rims will fit. As they have to be by design like ATS Cup with a place where caliper would fit in. Some hump.

Rear is kind of easy if you have rear suspension (trailing arms) from 323. I had couple but Also you have to have them complete with all hubs and drive shafts. Otherwise you will have to do some magic like I did. Problem is that bearings are different between weak and powerful models. As I didn’t have inner parts of 323 trailing arms I had to search for new bearings that would fit weak version hubs. One I found without problems, but other one was found from some Honda motocycle gearbox! :) Again my hands helped me! :D

As original rear pads couldn’t be found in some sporty compound I did “upgrade” to e30 calipers, which fit directly. Also rear brake discs are the same as e30. So that is the story about rear brakes. As you see in pictures new dust covers from stainless steel were made as well.

Exhaust

New is new. No need to mess up with old exhaust if you can make a new one. :) But I have one advise: Make it from stainless steel. :)
I found some m10 sporty 4-1 headers. Put them built exhaust, but this was no good as this header turned out to be from some other m10 car and on e21 is sits some 5cm too low. And all you get is hitting everything on your way. Modification of it was not possible so I changed to original cast headers.

Here you can see how headers are hanged away from cars body. Too low!

All exhaust consisted from 4 parts so it could be easily removed. And it was a very good decision as it were removed many time to do something.

As car was lowered all exhaust was built as above all car parts: gas tank, rear subframe, driveshafts.

Simoni resonators. Turned out crap. After couple years they were dead alright.

So after some time of work car got road leagal. This is how Latvian MOT sticker looks like. Indicates date before which you should get new MOT passed.

Don’t know how but one headlight got broken. So I mended it with some tape I found. :D

As this was supposed to be summer car I put it to sleep at the end of 2008. But sleep was not long as my winter car VW Passat Syncro (1986) gave up too early. :D

Some picture from 2010. From BMW festival. Foha front spoiler installed!
Last edited by J.K.jr.bad. on Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

-----------------
J.K.jr.bad.
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Re: J.K.jr.bad. 315th

Post by Jeroen »

Impressive! Thanks for translating season one for us then :lol: and thanks for all the clear explanations on modifications done and issues encountered in both words and images, big thumbs up!

Also finally some details on a front disc conversion I heard about before on several occasions. Guess it is time to start a project here on the R50 Mini One 276x22mm brake discs. With the Dutch community we did a rear E30 caliper group thing (details here), this may be our next project!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
croma_man
E21 Pro
My E21(s): '83 EU 327i

Post by croma_man »

great craftmanship, good technical details, that how a build up should be presented, we shall learn ! :read
J.K.jr.bad.
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by J.K.jr.bad. »

Hi guys!

More interesting things about to come. :shake

Jeroen, regarding front caliper upgrade myWay keep in mind that any e21 stock discs will not be possible to put on as all e21 has very big offset. So you will have to use quite much of spacers to fit alloys and it will make tyre to go outside of fenders. Handling of car will also be spoiled.

Also it is a bit tricky to bolt on calipers as bolt should be placed on disc side. Very long and annoying process. For first time it is always better to dissemble caliper as it consists of two pieces. Bolt on first piece to strut, then put disc on and after put second piece of caliper.

Also some minor caliper grinding could be required on place where it could touch with outer side of brake disc. But it depends how rough was calipers casting. I remember that on one caliper I had to do such grinding but on other not. ;)
-----------------
J.K.jr.bad.
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

As long as the Mini disc doesn't force the wheel out any further it will be fine. If the offset then remains the same most will be ok. So is that the fact?

Some small adjustments in case of the Volvo calipers will be ok. And several here have the Wilwood conversion which have pretty small housings. For the Wilwoods we need to have custom brackets made but that should not be an extreme issue, we use custom brackets already.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
J.K.jr.bad.
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by J.K.jr.bad. »

So what’s happened next!
As I found some more pictures on my other PC, let’s return to 2009 when my enthusiasm was on a high wave! :D
As I have already mentioned before this car was what gave me courage in wiring. At the beginning I was standing at car, at all this wiring mess and couldn’t get started as I was kind of feared of all these colored “snakes”. :D So when finally I was starting to do wiring it didn’t turned out so difficult and scary. This car actually had some three or four wirings. First one was just old wires warped together and with each next one I changed design of how wires laid also went to completely new wires and plugs.
Firewall was “decorated” with several new holes.

It was almost funny to drill some hoe and after go and look wher have you got on other side. This is how car got some hoes that actually were not needed. But as you know weight is the main enemy on any sports car.
In this picture you can see where main power cable goes through firewall as battery was moved back to trunk.

As I told battery was moved to trunt where it lived with some “crucial” spare parts. Big capacity battery from some diesel car was not only a good power source but also a good weighty thing to distribute weight better to back of the car.

MegaSquirt long time lived in a grocery bag. :D After third wiring epopee it was mounted under glove box.

In summer of 2009 it was time to start to do with engine. I was bit disappointed with power, so I decided that putting some sporty camshaft will solve problem. Also it is so interesting just to drive. :D We say here that you don’t repair BMW, you improve it! :D

After removing the engine found that Rusty was here…

Oil from somewhere also was leaking…

So with engine again disabled I got this thing to put in it!

Dr. Schick sent me this cure for my pain

After some web inspection I stopped on 284 degrees. As I was going to use this car for everyday traffic people were saying that this is best option. But in situation I got I would better took for start 292 degree camshaft. Well anyway difference is huge comparing to standard 265. I recommend this as main upgrade on any m10!

Tuning was done on throttle body as well. Original e30 throttle with 50mm intake was changed to m30 engines 76mm one! Don’t know if it improved something but was looking sporty no doubt!

And once again: new gaskets etc. I even bought spare ones as I knew that this won’t be last dig in to engine!

Nothing but original!

New SWAG oil pump which was tuned. Now it is pumping 3 bars on hot 10w60 in idle. Of course new sprocket and chain as well.

Famous Piano Top pistons. Indeed reminds piano!

Almost done

And here we are ready!

On this forum from member DC I found out that engine bracket could still be bought and for quite good money!

Engine was ready to go. Frame was also willing to go. But some other direction. :D

What looks good from distance, looks bad from close

Side sill was already repaired couple times and once again it was rusted to pieces..

And once again I did some little welding. I knew that it will last just until next year. :D

And we are ready to put back engine!

Steering rack was changed to one with damper. But it didn’t make any differences.
So what’s for dinner? :D

Finally I managed to get original e21 gearbox with five speeds.

After starting car I had some oil pressure issues. So once again I had to open engine. This time just from bottom. Splines, somehow, on oil pump got damaged… So they were repaired and after it everything was just fine.

Meanwhile cover plate for gearbox was also made

And then came dark time of the year, when not just sun goes down earlier but also healthy thinking. :D
Somewhere on internet found that some cars are equipped with electric booster which makes vacuum all the time. So whenever you need you have good brakes. :D
So I found such solution on VW Passat B3.

As this booster comes with ABS system I had to cheat it somehow. Made some special brackets and plugs.

Special bracket to screw to original booster place

Spent huge amount of brake oil to get it working.. At the end I simply threw it out! :D And put back original design booster.
Regarding this silly setup. What did I got? Brakes were sharp like knife as we say here. But all this sharpness was at touch of foot. So they were not usable at all..

This picture very well describes this all mess :D
In the name of what dick I was all this doing!!! :D

Some pictures from this darkness period which also is very colorful time of the year

In the middle of all this I managed to get on race track as well.
After seeing this picture I understood that no spōrt springs and dampers will give you stability on track. From this moment I knew that I need coilovers!
What’s feeling stiff on road is completely jelly like on track!

Some picture from local BMW club event

They hunt in pack! :D

Long time ago on eBay I bought FOHA front spoiler. I liked very much how it looked on car. So it was time to install it.
Also installed some radiator fan which was already thrown out. But still worked making some loud noises.

As always 100nds of wires before it is clear that fan is working :D

On that years MOT Simoni mufflers turned out to be too loud. So I put some Honda Accord muffler. As you even see installed upside down as this was best way to connect to existing pipe.

Masterpiece of welding! :D

In 2011. I bought full set of poly bushes for my car. As my company is official distributor for polish Strongflex bushes I had a chance to test them and give them feedback on them. I turned out that for e21 there are also other sizes for front wishbone bushes. Also because of me this company has rear beam bushes. I sent them original brackets so that they can make bushes. ;)

At some point of 2011 coilovers for e21 were made. I took some special e30 coilovers that had integrated rear suspension version, made new strut support plates and where we go! I have coilovers for my e21!

Installed on car

And this was the end of this car being an everyday car. Now it was so stiff that on only very smooth pavement car was drivable. But on track was very good!
So at this moment I understood that this car will be turned into pure track car.
What is good for everything is good for nothing!
On OMP catalog I found that they still have roll cages for e21 and I went for it

So this is the start for new story which will be told later.
-----------------
J.K.jr.bad.
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Nice and detailed update once again. Nice to see how you hang on to a positive approach, even when you have oil pressure problems with your fresh engine. Thanks!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
nas80
E21 Mad

Post by nas80 »

:)

LMAO - really enjoyed reading your funny comments and looking at your pics, you have had a good journey with this car so far..

my favourite comments -

"It was almost funny to drill some hoe and after go and look wher have you got on other side"
"Dr. Schick sent me this cure for my pain"
""Engine was ready to go. Frame was also willing to go. But some other direction"
"This picture very well describes this all mess :D (pic of wooden cock bottle opener) In the name of what dick I was all this doing!!! :D"
"As we say: Brakes are for cowards but there still is a need for better ones on this car. :D"

:loll
[img]http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/nasbucket/forumsig.jpg[/img]
J.K.jr.bad.
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by J.K.jr.bad. »

So decision was made and irreversible process was started. Car was going to be turned into trackday, perhaps, later in race car. So everything that was not needed should be taken or cut off.
Car was put on grill stick and all underbody mastic was literally burnt down. Well not exactly burnt but heated up with torch and scrubbed off.

Well underneath it looked pretty rusty..

Lots of holes were discovered

Lots of holes were repaired before I got this car. Poor car.

After couple days of work everything was scrubbed off and some of unneeded brackets were cut off

At the end of September car was ready to be sent to restoration workshop where men don’t fear rust but cuts it off and put in new sheet of metal. 

Who knows what could be expected after car will be sand blasted. :)

Striped body was surprisingly light. Four men easily put it on trailer.

Inside of body was also cleaned from unneeded things. It was easy as you didn’t have to worry about all these things putting back together. I would say that a vandalism was used a bit. :)

After some time work on my car was started. All places that didn’t require sandblasting were left intact. No need to blast off places where paint was holding on good

And now we can see how good body was. :)

This is how Swiss cheese from Bavaria looks like. :)

At least someone was trying to save this car. It must have been good enough to do it.

Comparing to back of the car front was in quite well condition

All this process was long. You know how fast job is done at your body’s workshop. :)
Well car was blasted, roll cage was put in

All necessary things were strengthen

All rusty pieces were cut out without regret and new, fresh were put back in. And this time properly!

Towers for roll cage

Roll cage in and place for racing seat brackets measured. It is always important before putting in roll cage to have seat with brackets put in. As usually after it turns out that there is no place for it. :)

Old sills were replaced completely on both sides

Place for spare tyre was cut out. No need for it anymore

This was pain in a*s. This time literally indeed! :D
I managed to get some so so ok rear end from some other e21. Was not perfect but it helped a lot

Here you can see that work on rear is finished

Always think about car as whole unit. Then you will know what additional things you need for car before it is painted. In this case additional plates were welded where to install pins for fiber glass trunk lid

This is how rear end looked finished

Tubing for seat

Plates for harnesses welded for both sides as there always be somebody who will be willing to take a spin with driver. :)

Some additional holes were mended

So welding is done and car can be prepared for painting

While car was treated with correct mastics and primer I still had a time to think about color.
All I knew that underbody and inside will be different from outside

So my decision was to use some army colors. Under/inside army sand color, outside army green.
For underbody was used color with polyurethane mixture so little stone does not damage paint so easily.

With this yellow sand we somehow missed. It should have been a bit more brown not like butter  . Well next time.

After another while car was painted and was ready to go to next workshop where exhaust system was built. But about it in next series.
That’s it for this time!
-----------------
J.K.jr.bad.
nas80
E21 Mad

Post by nas80 »

I have subscribed to this build thread. your comments make me laugh so much man. nice work - I like the yellow paint underneath.
[img]http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/nasbucket/forumsig.jpg[/img]
polov8
E21 Pro
My E21(s): '83 Polaris silver 316

Post by polov8 »

Wow, great work! I'm not sure I'd have had the patience to fix that shell, that was pretty far gone in places! Can't wait for the next installment!
Andy
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Agree, so a brave and funny job going on there, nice progress again!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
J.K.jr.bad.
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by J.K.jr.bad. »

Year 2013 was a good year! Car finally returned to me and I „just” needed to put everything back together. But this is very tricky when you start doing it. All those little things take so much time that by sight you can tell there is a work for few days but actually is for some month. :)

Don’t know if I already had mentioned but car was put on diet and now it has fiberglass hood and bonnet. You know guys how much of weight it could save.
Everything was done just like I wanted no matter how much it cost. I really like Aerocatch fasteners so they were used for bonnet. And btw these are installed correctly. The right direction not like most of guys put them other way. This is correct direction because of safety issues.
Sexī maza faka! (I think no translation is required)

In previous soap opera series already told you about a bit wrong inside color tone. But in fact it is not so bad at all. BTW usage of brighter color for all inside things is that it will be much easier to find a problem if some happens. More light is reflected and bigger contrast all other things will have.

As trunk lid is quite light no big Aerocatch fasteners were needed. I used these small called DZUS fasteners. Very nice solution! And easy to use!

Better than from Munich :D

Still empty but not for long

Complete exhaust system was built at www.inex.lv. You can check out what other interesting this guy have welded.

Passenger side is ready for seat

Somethings were bought for exhaust but at the end these particular connections were replaced with some sportier ones

Fiberglass things were bought from http://www.pesch.cz/en/home. Price was very nice but at the end everything had to be strengthen as it came just in one fiberglass layer. Just like paper.

I ordered new custom bushes for engine and gearbox
We will see how long will they last

Engine is in place. Looks very dirty. Just like miner has come to some fancy ball. :D
But my aim was to run this engine this year as it was from last seasons and then decide what to do next with it.

For engine this year main thing was to build custom exhaust system.
Here you can see that spare head was used to calculate and make needed measurments

After some time of calculations something that looks more like exhaust manifold was built. We are half way done.

Manifold was going to be 4-2-1. This will give engine more torque which basically is more useful when you are going out of corner

2-1 piece is ready

Welding was quite expensive as additional gas was pumped and blocked into tubes so there is no seam inside.

Original bracket for gearbox was lost so new was built

After another week exhaust was finished. Everything looked very nice!
You can see in picture where final 2-1 piece is connected together. This is what calculations said

The first muffler is just right before rear axle! And this is place for it by calculations! Image

Magnaflow end muffler with old fashioned tips. Looks very in place! Image

Exhaust was split in to three piecies:
1. Exhaust manifold
2. Middle selection with muffler
3. End section.
This all was done because I wanted this exhaust going above rear axle not beneath. And to take it off you need to split it this way.
In this picture you see how we built connection for pipes. Pipe in Pipe. Secured with springs used on motorcycle exhausts

This is second connection. Rusty prop shaft got into picture. At least something reminds that this car is not a new guy.

Some heat shield was built for some places
Steering mechanism

Engine mount

Some additional protection for mufflers was done in case some cat tries to run under. :)

Now car is out of INEX workshop and finally back to my “garage” where everything else will be put together.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So car is at home.
Brought together all things that need to be put into and onto car. Not much, but actually there is work for another couple of months. :D

As day was nice I took some pictures of this beauty

Two Getrag’s The DogLegs. One is little used which turned out to be a quite used as was making a lot of noise and other one is rebuilt. Guess which one was put on to car? Of course the one that was noisy. At least I know that it has to be rebuilt. :D

At first I thought that I will change windows etc. to polycarbonate but then I understood that more important will be to get a new radiator for this car. So I ordered a custom one.
Things go slowly but steady. All my free time was spent on my car. Perhaps that is reason that I don’t have a human girlfriend anymore. :D Sad but true..
Well there is no time for melancholy. I want to get on the track while summer lasts!
So I took some self-adhesive fireproof material and put it everywhere where heat could damage something.
First of all engine bay

Something under car

And something at the end

Fuel tank was also near to exhaust so I decided to decorate it too as it was freshly sandblasted and painted

In previous years car suffered from overheated brakes. So I decided to build additional air ways to cool it. Some modification of body work was needed. Some very heavy tools were used. :D At the end I didn’t have time to finish it. But well at the end heat problem didn’t showed up. Perhaps reduction of cars weight gave less stress on brakes.

Daddy I can see again!!! Image

Completely new brake lines were installed. As there was no need to put them under car everything was made with braided lines that were going through saloon.

At exhaust side brake lines were put into fireproof material

Fuel lines were also routed through saloon. Lines from copper put into some heat shrinking material which is used by electricians. Image

As just half of tank was left aluminum cork was used together with fuel resistant silicone piecie

Fuel lines routed from tank to trunk area where fuel swirl tank and other fuel moving animals were going to live

And here is fuel zoo.
Little fuel pump is pumping gas into swirl pot. The from it main pump, which died after some week, pushes fuel to filter. All leftover fuel is pushed back into swirl pot. And if pot is full excess of fuel is flushed back into tank. Simple as it. But this system could have bad result if a lot of fuel is pushed around. Fuel heat up too much and bad vaporization could accrue. Well not in my case.

Little fuel pump from FACET. Some 115L per hour. More than enough for me

Original heater was removed and in to its place a spōrts battery was put.
Well next year some kind of heater will return to car as it is very important in days when rains

All this was folded by myself from one sheet of material.

Electrical cables were put into nice elastic housing

Racing studs from Sparco were upgraded

As you can see in picture some 1cm of thread was lathed so when you put nut it is already centered and less worries about damaging thread

One day I noticed that oil sump was oily. Found a little hole in it

It was fixed

And some oil travel was limited. I hope it works. :D

I already told you that all those little things takes most of time. Image
Sometimes at the end of day you ask what have you done. And all you can say that you have drilled six holes. Image But that is more than nothing. Image

Handbrake is now in its place. No need for it on track but to pass MOT is was required as I still can use this car on road

Exhaust is at its place. Brake line is secured from heat

Let’s hook up speedo to see if something wrong is about to happen and let’s start the engine!

It was very strange that engine started as it was just stopped. None less to say that it was laying around for some two years. Image Little battery spins engine as hell. Just 20Ah but works as beast! And saves so much weight so I can have some desert for breakfast as well. :D

New radiator arrived just about time

Shroud plate was made also for Spal fan, but turned out that there is no place for it… Miscalculated dimensions..

Radiator is very heavy. Made from very thick aluminum. It somehow replaces now a bumper. Image

At the end of some day car looked like this

All rubber hoses were replaced by SFS Performance silicone hoses.

Dashboard, door panels and all kind of other things were installed. Of course some modifications were required as well to put it all back. :D

All glassing is back. New front windshield to have a better look at finish line. :D

No more worries about rain and paddles inside car. :D

Car got new EU marked number plates. Original ones with LV flag was too damaged to use them.

Towing hook also in place

Car got Sparco steering wheel which doesn’t bend when it is used. :D No China crap!

Original Takata belts. Image
Why not Takata green? Because everybody got them Image Image

Must have thing in every racing car

Condom for steering wheel. Not to catch some STD while I’m not in car :D

Some important sticker as I’m also a folk dancer for around 30 years and this year there was a big song and dance festival in Latvia which takes place once in five years. It is worth to come and see even if you are not into such things. You have to see it just because of scope of it.
More info on: http://www.dziesmusvetki.tv/en/
Been there, done that!

And finally I have a legal sports car! 8)

Just before my first practice there was quite heavy rain. But that didn’t hold me from going to track! At the end rain stopped and track was dry!

See you in next part! Which is called: Let’s race!
Last edited by J.K.jr.bad. on Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------
J.K.jr.bad.
daman
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by daman »

great job
bmw320
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by bmw320 »

your car is very cool :) i like it :) waiting video from race :driving