CV joint boot

For all your questions, problems and DIY stories
drjim
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

CV joint boot

Post by drjim »

So my Baur suspension rebuild takes another twist. Having decided to replace the wheel bearings, got wrong size, obtained correct ones, then fitted them. I was bashing the axle a bit to get it through the new bearings when I noticed a tear in the driveshaft boot with grease leaking out. Either hit it with the hammer or it was torn already.

So I head down to my old workshop to grab the spare driveshafts from my stash. They look different. CV joint section is much thicker, shaft bit looks a bit shorter and the whole lot looks a bit wider. Looking at Haynes's book of lies I see those are probably 316 shafts which sounds right as they came from Nick with the slug.

I have dismantled one to get a boot, which is now ready to go on the shaft off the car.

Unfortunately the end of the shaft on my 1982 320/6 is completely different to the 316 version. that has an obvious end cap seal to remove. The one off the car looks like the whole end cap will have to be pried off. Before I go destructive testing to work out what to do, and anyone advise how the end comes off this bloody shaft?

Can't get a pic online at the moment, if nobody has an answer from experience I'll get some pics tomorrow.

Ta

Jim

1983 316 Pustergrun - track sluG!
1982 Saphirblau Baur 325i

Cars all gone!
nas80
E21 Mad

Re: CV joint boot

Post by nas80 »

last time i took one apart was when it completely smashed to pieces after launching it at 5k off the line at santa pod.

I have had a mix of 323i and 316 driveshafts, i have never noticed any difference between them whatsoever.

anyway that cap you basically gradually tap it off around the edges , and then you will see the end of your shaft. and you can get the cv off. If you post a pic up we can see what your looking at
[img]http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/nasbucket/forumsig.jpg[/img]
si.
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by si. »

I dont think there is any difference in the shafts at all across the range pretty sure i used my 316 shafts in my 323 disk rear end
1989 325i touring - eventual track car project - maybe for sale
1973 2002 - joint resto with a mate
1982 316 - m20b25 shitty on the outside shiney on the inside
2005 330i - Clubsport individual
Mihajlo
E21 Pro
My E21(s): 1982 315swap323i

Post by Mihajlo »

realoem says output shafts No. 1 in picture are diferent only for PFL nad FL

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
drjim
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by drjim »

Bolts are different size, ones off the Baur have shorter bolts, they are fatter too as I recall, but so tired after a day rebuilding the car that I can't remember!

Anyway I popped the cap off, replaced the boot and the car is back together.
1983 316 Pustergrun - track sluG!
1982 Saphirblau Baur 325i

Cars all gone!
woutvanschaik
Newbee
My E21(s): 1983 316 automatic

Post by woutvanschaik »

I have popped the cap off, and mine are pretty close to falling apart. as I am also upgrading my driveline a bit (Tesla small drive unit swap wit north of 300 BHP) I would like to start off with new CV joints and custom axles. These axles are ready for production, but i can't find new CV joints anywhere. Rumour goes that they are the same for the E28, but still no luck. I want to order these first to verify that I can repair the joints. Other option that would be nice would be upgrading to a newer model CV joint, but this would be easiest if this has the same bolt pattern. using a spacer might increase the angle of the CV joint which is not benefitial. hopefully any of you can help me out. I have a 316 from 1983, if that might matter