Quaife QDF6N LSD installation question

For all your questions, problems and DIY stories
jbrunken
Newbee
My E21(s): 1982 323i 5-speed overdrive

Quaife QDF6N LSD installation question

Post by jbrunken »

Has anyone installed one of these into an E21 diff case? I've installed one on an E46 without any trouble, but the rear opening of the E21 case is so small that the diff unit barely fits in without the ring gear installed.

I've contaced Birds Automotive and Quaife directly. Birds' advice is to remove a bit of material from the inside of the case, but after taking some measurements, it doesn't look like there is enough material available for removal to accomodate the modification.

Quaife told me they have no knowledge of the specifics of the application other than the dimensions, which is a bit mind-boggling, and told me to ask Birds.

Birds also mentioned that the size of the ring gear varies with the gear ratio. My gears are 3.91 and the diff was originally an open diff out of a 320i.

The open diff must be rotated to where one of the cutouts on either side of it faces the side opening for the bearing flange to give it enough room to be angled so that it can be removed from the diff case.

If you have done this work, what did it take to make the Quaife fit, and which gears are/were you using? I've tried several options, but I'm at a loss.

I found a couple of postings from 10-11 years ago on on here with the word Quaife in them, but the discussions didn't mention the installation process.

Thanks -