Has anyone here used BMW's Aftersales Online System or Technical Information System for the E21?

For all your questions, problems and DIY stories
jbrunken
Newbee
My E21(s): 1982 323i 5-speed overdrive

Has anyone here used BMW's Aftersales Online System or Technical Information System for the E21?

Post by jbrunken »

If so, how is it or was it?

I have a copy of both blue shop manual that can be found online and the red Haynes manual, but they are lacking in some areas, especially with the wiring schematics for my '82 323i.

Thanks -

Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Re: Has anyone here used BMW's Aftersales Online System or Technical Information System for the E21?

Post by Jeroen »

Good question! I think it's been 15 to 20 years since I last used TIS through the old Sysadm or Transbase dealer applications, but as far as my memory goes, there wasn't much E21 specific stuff in there. With some repair manuals on hand, I've never needed much additional info. I believe the info in the Aftersales system is close to nothing.

The blue books mainly describe the pre facelift models, they haven't seen many updates since 1978. On the other hand and especially for the 6 cylinder models, the changes after that date are not huge. I know the blue books do have wiring diagrams which should help to find at least the color coding of the wiring (section 61). But other than that, the electronics of an E21 aren't too complex imho.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen