Spark Plug wire to Distributer diagram? - US 320i 1982 M10 1.8

For all your questions, problems and DIY stories
e21-V3
Newbee
My E21(s): 1982 E21 320i Manual

Spark Plug wire to Distributer diagram? - US 320i 1982 M10 1.8

Post by e21-V3 »

****What I most want to know right now is if I am correct in how I have the spark plug wires sequenced on the distributor cap, if the rotor moves in a count clockwise direction. Any input from other 1980-83 E21 owners would be great as I find a LOT of conflicting diagrams out there. Thanks!

Ok,

I have a 1982 E21 320i 1.8.

I'm trying to figure out if I have the timing correct and every diagram I find does not seem to work for me.

I have confirmed my dizzy rotor goes counter clockwise. I currently have the wires in this configuration
Please see image link

https://postimg.cc/zyXQLnNp

Is this correct??? I have the Haynes Manuel but I know that had a misprint. ( or so i was told)

When I follow any other digram the car wont even start. With this configuration I am able to start and time the car. ( I get the Z and the silver ball) It idles great, but the gas pedal is "laggy" and when I try to drive it wont really accelerate past 20mph. Feels like bogged down and delayed.

Here is a video, you can see it gets delayed around 2500 3000 rpm and when i really rev it it seems to stop at 4000

https://vimeo.com/888321683/6b1e41f611?share=copy

Here is the full List of things I've done already:
New cap and rotor
New external and internal fuel pumps
New fuel filter
New spark plugs
All new gas hoses from tank, pumps, fuel distributer.
All new vacuum lines, every one I could find.
New o2 sensor
Confirmed all 4 injectors are working and clean

I have attempted to adjust my fuel air mixture using the volt meter to get it reading 0.45 but I cant seem to get a stable reading no matter what I try....the most stable reading I could get is somewhere around 0.098. If i adjust it anymore in either direction the car dies.

So at this point I'm not sure I have the plug wires correct, and that could be throwing off the timing and fuel mixture readings.

There is no exhaust on the car after the Cat at this time... I've read a exhaust blockage could give me these symptoms... but I really want to be able to confirm I have timing right and the wires plugged in correctly.

Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated. If i left any info out please ask!