E21gr69
Newbee
My E21(s): 83 320i manual

Long time listener- first time caller/ newbie trying to diagnose e21 issues

Post by E21gr69 »

Hey guys,

Long time lurker but first time poster—

E21 is acting weird so I’ll keep it brief
Car idles high at start and increases as it stays on to 1500, it has always ran a tad rich; M10 engine
-Weather has been cold (30-40f) but I don’t think that would be enough to throw the idle off obviously

Clutch most times feels fine but occasionally goes limp on the way down but not up
- have pumped clutch pedal and have replaced o rings in master cylinder.

Transmission is locked out of all 5 forward gears and grinds while going into reverse
-have tried putting it in gear whilst parked but stalls out and grinds.

————-
Prior to all this car ran like an absolute monster but now I can’t drive it at all. I have some ideas as to what it could be but I’m not an expert, I’m just a kid, and I don’t want to touch something without learning about what it is and about this particular car.

Thanks guys!

Wilmo
E21 Mad

Re: Long time listener- first time caller/ newbie trying to diagnose e21 issues

Post by Wilmo »

What M10 do you have?

Clutch might be the slave cilinder. Could the transmission have to do with that you don’t have a clutch?
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

Welcome here, thanks for posting!

1983 US 320i so basically a Euro 318i with a Cat. My first thought.

1. could be a vacuum leak, maladjusted or stuck K-Jet distributor, or warm up regulator needing a rebuild
2 and 3 could be related indeed, if you have a leak at the slave cylinder that's fitted to the gearboxs' bell housing, you can loose pressure and also not have enough pressure to fully operate the clutch.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
E21gr69
Newbee
My E21(s): 83 320i manual

Post by E21gr69 »

Well we solved the clutch issue, master cylinder appeared to be leaking and so that was replaced and now we filled it up with DOT3 fluid, so clutch feels as it should.

Problem is now, we have a no start. Crank is healthy and strong but no start. Alternator coils were replaced in August along with the battery. Oil is soon needing to be changed. Idk if mine is US or EU since the previous owner imported it and I am originally from Spain but I did buy it from a US service member. Pierburg fuel pump was replaced and upgraded to EFI from the looks of it. Spark plugs haven't been done yet and it has a Weber 2 barrel. No cats because it was straight piped and the M10 has a custom Air intake. Car was bulletproof prior to coming to Texas.

Essentially I have to find out why there is crank but no start just to find out if I have solved the lockout 🙃 please pray for me, never a dull moment
uwbuurman
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): 1978 type 1 323i 5speed dogleg Polaris

Post by uwbuurman »

Well, for a start you'll fuel, air and a spark, in the right combination. That is all, so start with determining if you have all 3.
It's the man next door!

1978 BMW 323i
1980 BMW 528i maior restitutio
1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet
2006 BMW 320d touring High Executive
2015 BMW 320dA touring xDrive High Executive ///Msport